Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Mirroring portion vs mirroring window » on forum: General   Views: 4494

vandevsr

Posted: 02/12/2013 15:20:41

I'm using AWM 7.4.2 to mirror a portion of my primary monitor to a secondary monitor.  (I'm using it for something like Microsoft PowerPoint's Presentation mode, where everyone is not privy to what the presenter has).

I found a way to mirror a window (using a combo title button, that set size and location of my primary window, and then told it to mirror the window.)  AWM then had to detect that Mirrored window and move it to the second monitor, and resize it and leave it inactive etc.

The beauty of this, is that when I close the primary window in which I was working, it nicely shut down the mirroring too.
The downside is that the primary window only mirrors the mouse but nothing else "overlaying" that window.  For example, I have a program that allows marking up with a pen-input all over the primary window (for circling and underlining momentarily), but that makes no impression, because the mirrored window is the only part that gets mirrored.  AWM's design does make sense, but it limits me.  (It would be nice if AWM knew the size of the window it had to mirror and then mirrored that exact windows dimensions (screen portion)-including things that "block" that window.

So, as different approach, I try to use my combo button, to re-size and relocate my primary window (again to projector screen dimensions like 1024x768)and then I create a mirror that takes that portion of my display and sends it to the second monitor.  This will take care of the overlay problem, because WYSIWYG.  The downside is that I can't get the combo button to do this for me.  I try a keyboard macro as part of the combo, I even add a delay for fun, but AWM does not detect that artificial keyboard input within itself.  (I had set that mirror-display portion to activate with a keyboard combination--which works great using my real keyboard--but fails to start from AWMs macro.  Maybe there's a quick fix for this.  It only makes sense that the combo button should get the keyboard macro to trigger the hotkey.  Besides that, the other downside to this method is that closing the window won't automatically close the mirroring.  It would be nice to have a closed window act like a trigger for other events.

Hopefully this makes some sense.  I had a hard time searching these forums for anything close.  Send me a link if I missed it.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/13/2013 01:02:20

Hello vandevsr

I'm able to create the combo button that includes the Align and the Run keyboard macro actions. Run keyboard macro has the <Ctrl+Alt+S> combination which is the hotkey for the Mirror of the part of desktop.

It works fine. How do you set the hotkey combination with the keyboard macro?

Best regards.

vandevsr

Posted: 02/13/2013 09:25:32

Thanks, Bogdan.  Just knowing that it worked for you gave me a renewed push.  And it works! It's too bad I can't replicate what I was doing wrong.  This time, I tried your hotkey and that worked.  First I made the keyboard macro hotkey (in the combo button) then I made the mirror with that hotkey to activate it (opposite order of what I tried yesterday).  When that worked, I went back to my old hotkey and it worked nicely.  Yesterday, I rebooted the pc, I reloaded the AWM too, etc, but today with almost no effort it works just like that!

Thanks for that help.
One more question.  Is there a way to have a portion of a monitor act like a monitor?  For example, watching a youtube video, I'd like to maximize it to get rid of all the stuff on the sides, but I only want to maximize it to fit a part of my monitor that is being mirrored.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/14/2013 02:52:04

Hello vandevsr

Unfortunately, for now there is no such feature.

Would you like it to be considered as a feature request?

Best regards.

vandevsr

Posted: 02/14/2013 08:56:51

Yes, I would like to see a customize-able (virtual) monitor within a real monitor.  (At least when I make a feature request I don't have the difficult job of making it work.)
So far, I'm very impressed with this software.  It's doing almost everything I want it to do.  Thanks for the help too.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/15/2013 05:16:59

vandevsr, we'll consider it.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help