Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 14
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Explorer hangs » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 35627

Scott
Advanced user

Posted: 12/18/2009 14:08:09

Since installing the 4th AWM 5.5 beta, I've been seeing Explorer hang constantly...  This happens very frequently and for no apparent reason.  For example, if I press Win+E to open an Explorer window, all Explorer.exe processes will freeze and stay that way until I start ripping my scalp apart and decide to kill them all.

I have not yet figured out which exact feature is causing this problem, but I am in the process of doing so.  The purpose of this report is to--if nothing else--notify you that there is indeed a problem.

I will of course report back if/when I figure out how to reproduce this issue.

(Been beta testing for several years, working toward a lifetime AWM license like some others have somehow acquired...)

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/19/2009 02:50:45

Scott, as I already said in your other thread, I'm very glad you're back to us! I suppose we could grant you a free license just for all your past help in testing early versions of AWM (and I believe we will when the next major version comes out ;) ).

As for your report - the regular question: what security software do you have running along with AWM? Also, try to turn off AWM features one by one (first of all, the multi-monitor ones - of course, if you use any) to localize the culprit.

BTW, long time ago you reported about constant 30-60 seconds lockups in Windows Explorer on your machine while using AWM. Then, we failed to localize the problem despite all our joint efforts, so that it still remains unsolved in our bug tracker. Please could you tell me about the current status of that issue - is it still actual or was fixed somehow?

Scott
Advanced user

Posted: 12/19/2009 12:42:50

First of all, I uhh... had a bit of wine before posting that message.  I'm afraid to read it right now but if I sounded like a jackass, I apologize.

The only security software I use is Avira AntiVir Premium 9.0.  But I think I've narrowed down the culprit: It's either (or both) of the "Enable taskbar buttons reordering" and/or "Enable tray icons reordering" settings.  I've disabled both of them, and the problem doesn't happen.

I can narrow it down further if needed...

The 30-60 second Explorer lockup issue was not a problem with the current release version of AWM (5.4).  I cannot say what exactly fixed the problem, sorry.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/21/2009 11:46:58

Though I saw nothing wrong in your initial message but your apologies are accepted. :)

Thanks for providing information about the culprit. Do you have the Launch folder windows in a separate process option enabled in Windows Explorer? If yes then try to turn it off for a while.

Jonathan Woodward

Posted: 12/21/2009 13:46:24

I am also reporting issues with Windows Explorer hanging and crashing. I have had problems with Explorer crashing and hanging for several beta versions now.  Current problems involve AWM 5.5 beta 4.

Important information: Computer is Acer Aspire Laptop 7720, OS is Windows 7 Ultimate X86, NVidia GeForce Mobile Drivers v 195.62, Patched uxtheme file with VistaGlazz 2.0 (this new version just patches the file and is compatible with Win7), and TuneUp Utilities 2010, Aero enabled. I have AeroBarIco running (to add title and icon to window title bar) and set Windows explorer to open in drives view as opposed to library view.

Issues: When shutting down my computer, task scheduler indicates that explorer is still running and closing, and explorer crashes. Uninstalled AWM and problems disappeared.

Since I have had explorer problems for several versions, I am asking the admins what about this program causes such instabilities? Are they aware of particular program that would cause these problems?

Thanks for you help.

Scott
Advanced user

Posted: 12/21/2009 19:56:23

I guess I spoke too soon.  Though I have the aforementioned reordering options disabled still, I just had another Explorer freeze.  It's really quite bad.

I have "Launch folder windows in a separate process" disabled, and always have.

What happened is that I tried closing an Explorer folder window, and it froze.  At the same time, the entire shell froze.  Using Process Explorer, I was able to launch the AWM configuration.  I could pause AWM, but could not unload it.  AWM simply "ignored" my request to unload it.

But when I used Process Explorer to kill Explorer.exe, the AWM center process terminated immediately afterward.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/22/2009 03:36:37

Jonathan, Scott,

Please check do you have the exclusion named "Taskbar" and is it enabled. It should have the "Window class" only enabled with the Shell_TrayWnd value. If there is no such exclusion then create and enable it (specifying just the window class is enough). Make sure that you don't have any specific settings for the Taskbar window; in case you have any then disable it.

BTW, would you agree to get from us the current version of AWM and check it on your machine? It has several fixes since 5.5 beta 4 which might be crucial in your case. Thank you in advance!

Jonathan Woodward

Posted: 12/22/2009 10:54:37

From the AWM settings window, Windows Settings tab, Exclusions heading, a Taskbar entry is listed with a check in the adjacent checkbox. In the specific settings options belown the exclusions list, Taskbar is in the title box and Window Class option is checked with Shell_TrayWnd is entered.

Is it possible when you release updated betas to name them something like AWM 5.5 b4.1 and so on? I didn't know an updated beta 4 was released.

Thanks, Jon

Scott
Advanced user

Posted: 12/22/2009 12:01:52

I have an exclusion rule with the class Shell_TrayWnd but this rule also specifies program Explorer.exe, which should not matter, correct?

I'd be willing to try your internal beta.  Please send it to my board email address (which I've just changed).

Jonathan Woodward

Posted: 12/22/2009 15:18:48

Yes, I would like to test out the latest internal beta. Thanks!

Messages 1 - 10 of 14
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register