Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Window listing - Suggestion » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 11709

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 08/23/2016 19:04:49

The window listing obtained from Window Rule> Target Window> 'Sel ect Window from List' is very useful not only in AWM but sometimes when diagnosing problems in other programs.

It would be very useful if it could be pulled up from the main window instead of fr om the Target Window window.

Larry Hess

Posted: 08/23/2016 23:16:12

Gregg, I dont' understand your instructions "pulled up from the main window instead of fr om the Target Window window." Can you be more explicit?

Larry Hess CPA
Albuquerque, NM USA

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/25/2016 01:27:06

Hello, gentlemen

Gregg, do you mean you want the ability to bring the "Open window list" straight from the main configuration window?

Maybe, it is useful in some situations to have this ability, but what function in terms of Actual Window Manager functionality will such button have?

Best regards.

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 08/27/2016 08:23:13

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Greg, do you mean you want the ability to bring the "Open window list" straight fr om the main configuration window?

Maybe, it is useful in some situations to have this ability, but what function in terms of Actual Window Manager functionality will such button have?

Best regards.

Yes Bogdan and Larry, I'm suggesting that the Window List be accessible from the first AWM page. Possibly the Tools section on the left-hand menu. Possibly only visible in a 'developers mode'.

The current way of seeing the window list is by (a) clicking on Add Window Rule> click on 'Sel ect Window from List' button; (b) double clicking on existing window rule> click Target Window> click on 'Select Window fr om List' button. I usually use the second slightly longer method because that's how I most commonly find my way to needing the window list. The button does a great job as it will will the window class, program name and caption fields automatically on closing BUT...

I have two ways of needing to use Actual Windows Manager. The first is the intended method: I'm in a program and I want to change the behaviour of one of its windows. Go to AWM, click on Add New Rule and so on.

The second way is an 'explorative' approach. In this approach I see Windows behaviour I don't like or want to alter. I ask myself, How can I achieve a change, what changes could I make? Should I use AWM, a keyboard macro program (like Quickeys or AutoHotKeys), or a mouse clicker? I might start with AWM, can I see the window, will it be unique, is AWM capable of making the behaviorial change? Having quick access to the window list is just part of this explorative approach. Clearly I don't need the pasting of window class, program name and caption at this stage.

Perhaps another way of describing my explorative approach is as the design stage for a solution wh ere nothing is immediately obvious.

Hope this helps.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/02/2016 22:37:40

Greg,

Probably, in this case, it is more convenient to begin to create specific settings for the windows, whose behavior you want to change. Right click on the window's title bar > Manage window settings > Create new specific settings - this will bring a window of a "project" of window settings for this window (this means that the settings won't be created until you press Apply). But in this window of a project of window settings you're able to see the window's parameters such as Window class, Window caption and Program. This should help you decide whether you want to try to apply Actual Window Manager to this window, or you want to use other application (like you wrote, some keyboard macro program or a mouse clicker). Have you tried this?

Best regards.

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 09/03/2016 08:50:09

Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for your thoughts. It's not a big deal, I just thought it might make AWM more useful but it's a personal point of view.

Instead of starting in AWM and asking, How can AWM fix this problem, these days I have a different approach because I have a number of tools that might help. An example is:

• How can I deal with this problem?
  • Should I use a macro key or an automated window response
  • It's really a hotkey response, AWM doesn't have the tools but a hotkey requires manual typing. Maybe I can automate the hotkey from AWM?
  • What windows does AWM see?

I just thought if there were other developers working like me, they would appreciate the extra ease of quickly pulling up the list of windows. I now think it needs to be in the system tray menu for greatest convenience. Certainly not worth the effort for just one person.

As I say, it's no big deal, just sharing my thoughts.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register