Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Does AWM catch new windows if a program starts a new instance? » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 3096

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 02/23/2015 06:07:37

Does AWM catch new windows if a program starts a new instance of itself?

I'm mainly interested for historical reasons but if there's a bug, and that seems very unlikely after all this time, it will be of interest to the AWM team.

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm still using Outlook 2003, Yes, I know there's been a few updates but I'm wedded to the macros and rules I've got embedded in my Outlook system. I say I'm interested for historical reasons because any day now, and I've been saying this for several years now, I will change to something else.

The issue: It's quite easy to get Outlook 2003 to open a new window using a new instance of itself. When I do this, AWM does not recognise the new window as an Outlook window as defined in the AWM rules. Hence it appears that AWM is no longer working. This has frustrated me for years, like many, many years but this morning I hit on the notion that multiple instances was the root cause of the problem.

Now I can remedy this by just knowing that I should avoid opening second instances of Outlook. My question to the AWM team is, Should AWM work correctly when programs open new instances of themselves. It might be a problem that is unique to Outlook 2003. On the other hand, if it is widespread...

Regards,

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 02/23/2015 06:30:08

Hmmm! Multiple instances may not be the problem after all. I've just found that if I minimise the Outlook window and then restore it, AWM loses track of the Outlook window. I can tell because it has lost the position I assigned it at startup and the extra tiles I added to the title bar have disappeared.

Me thinks I'm back to the beginning.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/24/2015 11:27:49

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the post.

Please specify your OS (version, 32 or 64-bit), send us your configuration files and provide a step by step description of how to reproduce the problem where AWM loses track of an MS Outlook window.
Could you also specify the full version of MS Outlook (version, 32 or 64-bit)?

Best regards.

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 03/06/2015 19:52:48

Hi Vasiliy,

Apologies for the delay. It has taken me a long time to find the trigger to make AWM lose control of the Outlook 2003 window. It's convoluted and so I'm not surprised it appeared to be random.

In a nutshell,

If Outlook has just one window open (opened by the first click on the task bar icon) and I click on the task bar icon a second time, it will open the window of the last application (as defined by Windows). On clicking the Outlook icon a third time the Outlook window re-appears but AWM has lost control of the window. This is explained in great detail in a Word document I'm sending you at Support.

A second way AWM loses control is by using the Reapply Settings keyboard shortcut key.

If other readers want to do their own testing:  AWM's control of the Outlook window can be restored by closing the program and restarting, but we warned, the Close box closes the window but does not shut down the program. Use Exit from the File menu to shut down Outlook.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register