New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 11 - 15 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Feedback on compact mode , Using AWM 8.2 beta 2 » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 13582

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/15/2015 11:31:00

Hello Pim,

Thanks for the reply.

During my short review I noticed that when restoring a maximized Firefox window to its regular size (1350 x 567 this time), the automatic gradual compact view hid all extra title buttons, even though there was plenty of room to display them
Please specify your OS (version, 32 or 64-bit), versions of Mozilla Firefox and Actual Window Manager and provide a screenshot of this.

I have made a lot of changes to FF's appearance, a.o. with the extension Classic Theme Restorer, which might be the reason
Could you check whether disabling one of Firefox extensions solves the problem or not?

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/12/2015 23:59:29

Hello Vasiliy,

Thank you for your response.

I have briefly checked this issue and concluded that it likely has to do with one or more of my Firefox extensions. I need to do some further research and will inform you of my findings when I have done so. I do not see a need for you to check it yet, as the cause may be entirely at my end. It may however be some time before I have the time available to check this. Right now I am still working on my migration form Vista to Windows 7 on the first of two computers.

However, I still would like an answer to my question "can you tell me how the automatic gradual compact view checks whether there is enough room for title buttons?".

Thanks!
Best regards.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 07/15/2015 16:28:11

Hello Pim,

The automatic gradual compact view checks whether there is enough room for title buttons using MSAA (Microsoft Accessibility API).

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/27/2015 01:58:37

Hello Vasiliy,

using MSAA (Microsoft Accessibility API).
Now you have got me confused  :| I am not a programmer and this API does not mean anything to me. Could you please explain in lay men's terms what it means and which available space in the title bar determines how many buttons are displayed? (is it e.g. all the space to the left window border, or the space to the window label (text))?

Thank you.
Best regards.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/01/2015 13:21:11

Pim,

The essentials of MSAA can be viewed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Active_Accessibility#Motivation_and_goals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Active_Accessibility#Accessible_objects

In short, this technology allows a program declare its user interface structure in a special way so that another program (like developement tool or screen reader) can recognize separate visual elements and detect their exact screen location within the program window.

Popular web browsers, like Firefox or Chrome, support this technology, and we are using it to locate the buttons in their title bars.

Messages 11 - 15 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register