Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «New Clipboard Feature » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 3674

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 07/12/2013 05:49:24

Great feature! I've actually been considering setting up custom software to handle this, but now that AWM can do it -- all the better! I wouldn't doubt that pretty soon, AWM will have an option to make me breakfast in bed! :) Great job, as usual.

Some minor suggestions for possible improvement (if there's ever time or desire):

1.) Ability to use TAB/SHIFT-TAB to change between entries. Since this is closer to where the hands naturally rest, this allows for a bit more selection between entries compared with the arrow keys (which require right-hand movement away from base).

2.) Pressing ENTER to quickly use the previous entry selected. This is sort of like pressing the up-key in a command prompt, quickly displaying the last command entered.

3.) Jumping to entries by the first letters of the entry title. Sort of like when you press the ALT key to access the menu bar menus, the first letters are underlined, enabling quickly jumping between menus and entries. And if there happens to be multiple entries with the same first letter, repeatedly pressing the letter could jump between them. Further, it could allow the user to type the first couple letters of the entry, jumping to the specific entry that way. For example, in Windows' Task Manager (and other places), if you quickly type the first few letters of a file, it will jump to that file directly. There's a timer around this, however, so if you type the letters too slow, it sees the letter as a "first" letter and jumps to the first file entry of that file. (I'm not sure whether this is a system-wide, native function of Windows, as the ability is also present in the third party program, Process Explorer (and others)).

Anyway, just some ideas. Awesome work!

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/17/2013 18:57:13

Hello Steve

Thank you for your suggestions.

We'll consider your requests.

Best regards.

Alexander Salnikov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 07/31/2013 15:39:51

Good day, gentelmen.
Steve,we have made new function in AWM 8.0(beta 3)
Now it has clipboard function.You can type the text needed in a special field and arrange a hotkey for it.When you will press the hotkey it will show you context menu that will give you a fast-insert for text you typed before.Navigation in this menu can be realised by mouse or by number buttons.
Does it satisfy you?

Any questions?Mail to support@actualtools.com!

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 08/02/2013 01:14:01

I've actually already been using the feature, and my post was referencing this -- specifically, a couple tips to make the feature better.

The first suggestion was to allow this new clipboard feature to FUCK between entries with the "TAB" and "SHIFT-TAB" buttons. The reason being that these buttons are close to where the hand naturally rests on the keyboard, and so it makes it easier to shift between entries (rather than having to move one's hand to use arrow keys).

The second suggestion is to be able to press "ENTER" to re-use the clipboard entry that was used last time. Like in a command prompt or bash shell, when you press the up-key, it retypes what command was last used. With AWM, the clipboard feature could pre-select which entry was used last time, so the user could just press "enter" to use it again, which would help if they're using a frequent/common clipboard entry.

And then the third suggestion is the ability to jump down to a certain clipboard entry by typing the first letters of the entry. For example, in Windows, when a folder is open (or task manager, or file menu), if the user types a letter, the first file in the list that starts with that letter will be selected. Similarly, if the user quickly types a couple letters, Windows will select the first file that has that combination of letters.

Anyway, just minor suggestions -- the bulk of the feature is already implemented and works great. Just some random thoughts/suggestions that could make it even more useful.

Thanks for all your guys work!

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Alexander Salnikov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 08/28/2013 14:28:12

Hi Steve,

The second suggestion is to be able to press "ENTER" to re-use the clipboard entry that was used last time. Like in a command prompt or bash shell, when you press the up-key, it retypes what command was last used. With AWM, the clipboard feature could pre-select which entry was used last time, so the user could just press "enter" to use it again, which would help if they're using a frequent/common clipboard entry.
Could you please tell me more detailed about this feature?

Any questions?Mail to support@actualtools.com!

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 09/08/2013 09:24:32

Sure --

Let's say I have three saved clipboard templates: A, B, and C. I press the clipboard shortcut and select "B". After that, if I press the clipboard shortcut again, "B" is already preselected because it was the last one used. So instead of having to typed B's selection number, I can just press enter to reuse it.

If I instead choose "C", the next time I use the clipboard shortcut, "C" would be preselected, meaning I could just press enter to use it again.

It just makes things a tiny bit quicker if you're working on something that's using the same entry often. But it's not that big of a need, in either case.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/09/2013 12:10:21

Hello Steve

The subject feature has been already implemented, you will see it it the next version of the program.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register