Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «awm taskbar autohiding » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 15168

TabSel
Advanced user

Posted: 02/16/2012 08:06:10

the AWM taskbar which replaces the primary taskbar acts strange

1) configure AWM taskbars to have primary taskbar replaced
2) don't know if relevant, but I have this replacing AWM taskbar position top, auto hiding
3) minimize all windows

4) click in the desktop (on the screen containing the replacing awm taskbar), to ensure the taskbar auto hides
5) move mouse to top of screen to have the taskbar showing
6) right click a tray icon (for example AWMs tray icon) and instantly move the mouse away from the taskbar area

=> the taskbar autohides again (with AWMs tray context menu disappearing; other apps' context menu may stay open, but the taskbar autohides)

THE NEXT time you bring up the same context menu, the taskbar stays open! So if you don't see this effect, try again with step 4) above...

edit: only applies to the awm taskbar which replaces the primary taskbar...

Michael Plant

Posted: 02/16/2012 11:15:03

I'm seeing similar behaviour - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. It's intermittent, though, in that sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. I've been monitoring this for the past two weeks, looking for a pattern but I can't see one.

Another, related, issue that I have is that it is often difficult/impossible to get the taskbar to show.

Razvan Popescu
Advanced user

Posted: 02/16/2012 12:56:21

start button always works :)

Win 7 x64 updates to date,
2 monitors placed I on top of II,
2 independent taskbars on the right,
and using the latest beta

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/17/2012 00:43:45

Hello gentlemen,

the AWM taskbar which replaces the primary taskbar acts strange

1) configure AWM taskbars to have primary taskbar replaced
2) don't know if relevant, but I have this replacing AWM taskbar position top, auto hiding
3) minimize all windows

4) click in the desktop (on the screen containing the replacing awm taskbar), to ensure the taskbar auto hides
5) move mouse to top of screen to have the taskbar showing
6) right click a tray icon (for example AWMs tray icon) and instantly move the mouse away from the taskbar area

=> the taskbar autohides again (with AWMs tray context menu disappearing; other apps' context menu may stay open, but the taskbar autohides)

THE NEXT time you bring up the same context menu, the taskbar stays open! So if you don't see this effect, try again with step 4) above...

edit: only applies to the awm taskbar which replaces the primary taskbar...
- TabSel, the problem has been confirmed. We'll try to fix this.

Another, related, issue that I have is that it is often difficult/impossible to get the taskbar to show.
- Michael, could you clarify this?

start button always works
- Razvan, could you clarify this?

Best regards.

Zardoz2293

Posted: 02/17/2012 09:27:57

Update:
Confirmed the problem is intermittent and video driver has nothing to do with correcting.

Directly related, dual monitor (don't think this is a multi-monitor issue but this is my configuration), secondary monitor has regular Taskbar, primary has AWM Taskbar with Auto-Hide = True for primary monitor. Maximize something like iTunes and the app will only maximize as if the primary monitor AWM Taskbar is not auto-hide (as in always displayed), resulting in a "void" where the Taskbar would be if it wasn't hidden. In this example the Taskbar is at the TOP on both monitors. Turning off AWM (the primary monitor AWM Taskbar is removed) will result in the app, in this case iTunes, to maximize correctly. Occurs 100% of the time. AWM v7.0 Beta 2

I get the following with intermittently working:
  • Auto-hide
  • On Top

NOTE: AWM Taskbar's "auto-hide" feature has a SIGNIFICANTLY longer delay time to hide than the native Windows Taskbar. I'd think they would have the same delay effect from a workflow perspective, unless of course both delay to hidden times can be modified through a configuration within AWM. Regardless, I'd think they need to by synchronized.

What are your thoughts?

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/19/2012 20:48:53

Hello Zardoz2293,

Thanks for the message.

Could you send me ( support@actualtools.com ) some screenshots of the problem?

What OS (version, 32-bit or 64-bit) and what version of iTunes are you running?

unless of course both delay to hidden times can be modified through a configuration within AWM.
- We'll consider this as a feature request.

Regardless, I'd think they need to by synchronized.
- Could you clarify this?

Best regards.

Zardoz2293

Posted: 02/20/2012 07:37:07

The Windows Native Taskbar and AWM Taskbar “auto-hide” time related behavior is different.

Taskbar already HIDDEN and is DISPLAYED (auto-hide)
Windows = faster
AWM = slower, perhaps ~2-3ms

Taskbar already DISPLAYED and is HIDDEN (auto-hide)
Windows = faster
AWM = perhaps factor of 2 or 3 times slower

I think they, meaning, if you have BOTH Native Windows Taskbar and AWM Taskbar, and both are set to "auto-hide", then it's hard to imagine why or under what applied environment you would want different "auto-hide" to HIDE and to DISPLAY times, I'd always expect the behavior would be identical in this regard. I might want the HIDE and DISPLAY times to be modified, but always the same for both Taskbars.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit; iTunes 10.5.3.3

Michael Plant

Posted: 02/20/2012 18:47:07

Hi,

Sorry, missed the reply.

The AWM taskbar often fails to appear when I mouse over it (I have mine set to the bottom of my monitor). I can usually just see the top of the taskbar but it won't appear when I drag my mouse down below the bottom of the screen. There's no rhyme nor reason to this as far as which programs are running. I agree, it could be a delay issue. Not sure.

How can I test or further investigate this?

Michael Plant

Posted: 02/20/2012 18:57:22

PS a related on-going issue is that IE9, when running on the secondary monitor (with AWM taskbar), will often maximize under the taskbar, meaning that that the IE status bar, which I have enabled, is then hidden beneath the taskbar

This is what drove me to enable "Autohide the taskbar".

After reading more of this thread, I have set my primary monitor's default (ie Windows) taskbar to autohide as well. Will see if this affects the issue of the AWM taskbar not appearing at mouse-over.

Windows 7 64-bit latest build and fully up to date.

Zardoz2293

Posted: 02/20/2012 19:30:52

The "delay" or "timing" concern I'm referencing has only to do with the *difference* in how long it takes for each, Windows Native or AWM taskbars to do their thing. Like you hover over the area for the auto-hide it 'sees' your mouse and one will respond in 20ms and the other 225ms (milliseconds provided is an example, I don't know but it's not the same timing / delay for the exact same behavior).

NOTE: Forgot to state the delay or action time in AWM's Taskbar "Start" where you hover over the logo -- the highlight / light ray effect is way too fast relative to the Windows Native where it is much slower, the Native is superior in all of these timings rates, for all different reasons. Try it yourself again and again, and you will not only see the difference but the 'smoothness' of the Native implementation. I'm sure there are registry entries for all of these millisecond timings.

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register