Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Things I'll like to see in AWM , Actual Window Manager Futures I Like To See » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 4989

Michael Blackkatt

Posted: 08/02/2016 23:32:59

Actual Window Manager is already outstanding. . .but
here are some things I'll like to see in the future.

1. Intercept calls instead of reacting to them.
What I mean is. Any time we open a window where predefined rules are present. There will always been a short delay before rules are applied.
I would prefer AWM was an replacement rather then a "layer"

Microsoft Windows clearly does not handle Window placement or size very well (which is kinda ironic considering the name), and why else would AWM exist in the first place  ;)

Somebody has to do it, so let AWM handle it!

2. Option to manage all Windows within a Window.
Microsoft Management Console is a good example. Take Event Viewer, if I recall it consist of three separate windows within one big window (MMC) these windows does not remember size.

Many years I go I filed a bug report with Microsoft about this issue. It was later confirmed but nothing ever happened. Plausible reasons. They are working on replacing all off MMC and it's taking them more than two years and counting. It's not a priority even if the bug is from Windows XP. Or they forgot about it

what does that have todo with AWM? nothing... but I started looking for an "Actual Window Manager" replacement because of them   8)

Keep up the good work

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/07/2016 00:46:15

Hello, Michael

There will always been a short delay before rules are applied
Have you tried the "Block premature appearance of window" option of specific settings?

2. Option to manage all Windows within a Window. <...> these windows does not remember size.
Do you want that these "inner" windows remember their size?

Michael Blackkatt

Posted: 08/07/2016 01:00:04

Hey Bogdan

Yes I have. There is still a delay. I will enable it again and see. I've forgot why I disabled it. Im I not correct in AWM dont intercept calls, It rathers act after the fact?

Yes, whold like the inner windows to remember size

Michael Blackkatt

Posted: 08/13/2016 23:04:20

Bogdan, so I tried enabling "Block premature appearance of window" again to test. It had Zero effect =( you still get that "jump" when the Window gets moved and resized. So that's why I would like to see option 1 in the future  ;)

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 08/18/2016 14:52:16

Hello Michael,

1. Please send us your configuration files (Actual Window Manager -> Tools -> Configuration -> Send to Tech Support)and provide a step by step description of how to reproduce the delay with an application (an example).

2. Could you send us a screenshot of the Event Viewer window and mark its inner windows?

Michael Blackkatt

Posted: 08/18/2016 22:41:26

Hey Vasiliy,

Perhaps you misunderstand what I mean by "delay"
Because this is something everybody experience due to the fact that AWM "acts" after Windows has executed what it needs to when for example opening Explorer. Such as, reading the registry for size and placement. Or if stored elsewhere.

After Windows has done that. Then we see the Window and AWM applies its rules. So first Windows puts the Window somewhere, then AWM puts it somewhere else. Could somebody help me explain here. For me its dead simply to understand =)

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/22/2016 15:52:11

Hello, Michael

Could you clarify, what exactly actions of your settings you're able to see being applied to windows? For example, the "Move to monitor" action becomes almost invisible, when the "Block premature appearance of window" option is enabled.
Could you also tell what OS are you running (version, 32 or 64-bit)? What version of AWM are you running?

Could you also send us a screenshot of the Event Viewer window and specify what inner windows you're talking about?

Michael Blackkatt

Posted: 08/23/2016 00:20:50

Hi,

Most of the time I only use "size" and "placement" for MMC windows as they don't have these settings.

Clearly I cannot get through what I'm talking about so when I get some time I'll make a recording.

Michael Blackkatt

Posted: 10/31/2016 16:16:45

Just an small update to this.

It seem issue explained above (1) do "only" happen for apps like "Event Viewer" "Task Manager" I would bet all MMC applications.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/26/2016 15:01:45

Hello, Michael

Sorry for the delay.

The fact is the "Block premature appearance of window" option is not applied to the Microsoft Management Console applications even if it's enabled in Specific Settings for these windows and it's made by design, as applying this option to these windows causes problems.

1. Intercept calls instead of reacting to them.
Unfortunately, we're not going to change the way AWM processes windows.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register