Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «support for VMWare Unity windows with desktop splitter , add support for VMware Unity windows » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 2453

oran agra

Posted: 03/03/2016 14:56:42

Hi,
Excellent product.
I would really like to use the desktop splitter, but my problem is that it doesn't seem to support VMWare unity.
My machine is running windows, and i have a VMWare VM with Ubuntu running in it.
VMWare has a feature called "unity" which turns all the windows of the guest OS into independent windows of the host OS.
so that ALT+TAB on windows shows me all the windows of both OSes, and each can be moved around or maximized just like any window of the Windrows OS..

however your desktop splitter has some issues with it, and it doesn't seem to support these.
here's a screenshot that demonstrates that.
you can see notepad and chrome both running in windows (with the buttons of action tools)
and a terminal and pycharm runnin in ubuntu (without action tools buttons)
User added an image

if you solve that, i would love to buy this product.
thanks.

oran agra

Posted: 03/10/2016 00:36:44

i'm not using McFee (using ESET).
the Windows windows work well and the VMWare Unity ones don't.
you're welcome to test it for yourselves (install VMWare and try the Unity feature)

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/16/2016 17:12:39

Hello, Oran

Most likely, the reason why the windows from your virtual machine are not processed by our program is the peculiarity of these windows: they look like they don't have standard Windows title bar.

To test it, could you do the following: activate the "Enable logging" option (Configuration module > Options > General > Enable logging), then make couple of these "Ubuntu" windows appear in the Windows OS (not sure how you do this: by enabling the unity feature or by starting a new application while the feature is enabled) and then send us your configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (Configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support).

oran agra

Posted: 03/30/2016 11:45:01

Hi,
I sent the logs to support@actualtools.com with a reference to this forum, but so far got no response.
i tried uploading them here, but this forum seems unable to take a zip file of 7kb.
how do you want me to send these logs?
thanks.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/01/2016 18:14:11

Oran,

As i supposed before, the reason why the windows from your virtual machine are not affected by our program is the peculiarity of these windows: they don't have standard Windows title bar. These windows are dummy windows created only to display the windows from your virtual machine. This is why they're shown in the Task Switcher but don't have extra title buttons.

If you want to have extra title buttons on these windows you can try to install the program on your virtual machine. Let us know the results.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register