New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 18
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «[SOLVED]Move to top on open? , Window always opens at the bottom » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 10516

ron

Posted: 09/22/2014 08:13:58

So I've got this reminder app, when an alarm occurs the popup dialog does not come to the front.  I was looking for a setting in AWM that would bring it to the top on creation but can't find it.  I do see an option to send it to the back/bottom though.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 09/22/2014 15:48:04

Dear Ron,

thank you for your post!

Have you tried Actual Window Manager -> Window Settings -> Specific Settings -> (your alarm window rule) -> Startup tab -> Stay always-on-top -> Always?

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

ron

Posted: 09/28/2014 11:30:08

Yes, that was the setting I tried since it seemed the most logical choice.  I just tried it again to be certain.  The reminder window is created and starts flashing in the task bar.  For the latest test I just set a 1 minute reminder and sat here in the browser until it fired.

Once I bring the window into focus, it does stay on top.  Obviously though I'd like the reminder window to start out on top.  I need to write the developer - it's a reminder program - it's supposed to annoy/remind me until I do something :-)

I'm using Window Class and Program to ID the window.  Checking it in the window list it does flash the expected target window.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 09/29/2014 19:07:47

Dear Ron,

thank you for your reply!

Please specify the alarm application name - we'll test it on our side to clarify the situation.

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

ron

Posted: 10/08/2014 06:27:09

http://www.1stclock.com/

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/08/2014 19:14:07

Dear Ron,

thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I haven't managed to find a workaround. We'll consider this topic as a feature request and we'll let you know when it's implemented.

Given the fact that 1st Clock's alarm dialogs open on the bottom no matter Actual Window Manager is running or not, I also suggest you to send a request to 1st Clock developers to open alarm dialog windows in front.

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

ron

Posted: 10/09/2014 01:33:59

You can remove this feature request.  Discovered that the alarm priority determines how forcefully the app interrupts you when the alarm occurs.  Not a heavy user of the app I'd never altered priorities.  Chose the setting to make all alarms high priority and it interrupts me as expected with the dialog on top in the center of the screen.

My bad, sorry.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/09/2014 21:20:06

Thank you for your reply, Ron!

Actually I searched but haven't found that option in the app, too. Feel free to contact us in future!

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

ron

Posted: 02/06/2016 13:40:00

Another question on this same topic - many months later.

VLC, if already running, will not come to front when I double-click a video in my file manager.  So I set up the 'stay always on top - always' rule you mentioned above.

That works as advertised.  But what I wanted was something to bring it on top when activated/instantiated.  So starting the video from my file manager brings VLC to the front.  But, I want to be able to alt-tab back to file manager without VLC remaining on top.

Just before posting I changed 'always' to 'as before' and that seems to do what I want.  That's great.  But I'm trying to understand why.  

Trying to guess:  Since the last on-top state was true when looking at the video, the next time the window is activated (when I select another video) it's brought back to the top - but not in the 'always' state.  Because if I alt-tab back to file manager, it comes to the foreground and VLC goes behind it.

ron

Posted: 02/07/2016 13:07:53

Well, after all that, it seems I'm totally off.  VLC just works that way even without AWM on Win7.  Starts in foreground.  I can stop it or leave it running, switch to file manager and execute another MP4.  VLC then comes forward and plays that video.

So for Win10, I'm looking for a way to have AWM bring it to the front when started/activated.  The option I thought worked above does not work on Win10.

Messages 1 - 10 of 18
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register