Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «VR version of virtual desktop and multiple monitors » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 4925

Christian Andersson

Posted: 07/19/2014 16:16:23

I would like multiple monitors to be fitted to work with VR-hmds like Oculus Rift (that now has many different needs of tweaking with monitor settings for working with different hardware, some content cannot be cloned mirrored, some cannot be put in extended mode, some works best if the hmd is temporarily set to be primary and only display, and the new development kit 2 also need the image to be rotated).

There is also a freeware software called https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8182&hilit=virtual+desktop+alpha that lets you view your desktop in the hmd in different formats. I would like your software Actual Virtual Desktops to expand on that,  have a VR-plugin, or be tailored to bring a customizable set of desktops to VR. With the advent of VR there is now an unfilled place for a software that makes windows accessible from the hmd. There are some contenders, mainly: Deskope, Ibex, and Virtual Desktop (that I linked), that all do different things. I think using your virtual desktop and going the way of virtual desktop alpha would be an excellent solution. All multi-monitor setups that includes a vr-hmd is right now a hazzle, so there is a market waiting for good solution.

Kind regards

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 07/21/2014 18:44:15

Dear Christian,

thank you for your request!

Could you please describe the problems you mentioned with Oculus Rift in detail and attach some screenshots?

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Christian Andersson

Posted: 07/21/2014 18:52:31

Oh the problems are numerous, and the features that could be implemented also. But the potential customers are also numerous. You see, what I am suggesting as that you give a general support for vr and tailor your software to be a way to experience windows in VR, with numerous virtual desktops and windows surrounding the user in the virtual environment. If you check the link I provided I think you will understand.

Otherwise there are lot of problems with displaying on rift. With the new one there will, for example, not be supported a mirrored mode, which many users laments.

But basically what I was suggesting is a bizniz idea, cause a kind of virtual desktop software for vr will be valuable when the consumer versions of vr-displays are bing released.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 07/23/2014 18:55:10

Christian, thank you very much for your intention to help us develop valuable solutions!

Having reviewed the situation with Oculus Rift, we decided to postpone the work to make it fully supported until the final customer release of the Oculus Rift and, what's more important, - its drivers.

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register