New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Stop Windows from juggling displays? » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 7073

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 10/01/2013 16:08:08

Whenever an HDMI or DisplayPort display gets turned off or on, Windows goes "crazy" as it reconfigure and bounces the remaining displays around. Additionally, when this happens, it messes up the HDMI audio connection (AMD 7950 outputting over HDMI to a Yamaha receiver, which outputs to speakers and an HDTV monitor), causing audio problems in Windows.

Would it be possible to get a feature that prevents this from happening? Like, perhaps some way that would "emulate" like a display was still turned on and connected, so Windows wouldn't have to reconfigure all the remaining displays and go crazy.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Alexander Salnikov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 10/02/2013 18:45:59

Good day Steve,

Specify please what do you mean under "Windows goes "crazy" as it reconfigure and bounces"?

Any questions?Mail to support@actualtools.com!

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 10/03/2013 01:40:15

I guess that was a poor way to describe it. What I meant was that, with 40-50 windows open across three monitors, when turning an HDMI or DisplayPort monitor on or off, it causes Windows to "struggle" for about 10-20 seconds -- reconfiguring the remaining displays, moving and resizing windows across monitors, etc. It's a big enough annoyance that I begrudge having to turn a monitor on or off.

I realize that AWM has functions for keeping window sizes and layouts. The main issue is just that Windows "struggles" or chokes for 10-20 seconds after a display is turned off. It'd be nice if Windows responded like when a DVI monitor gets turned on or off -- doing nothing. The DVI's display always technically stays connected, so Windows never has to re-adjust everything when it gets turned on or off.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 10/03/2013 01:45:26

Would it be possible for an AWM function that "triggers" a monitor's sleep mode? The displays don't get reconfigured and adjusted when a monitor goes to sleep, so perhaps a function that could selectively "sleep" one monitor (much like the screensaver function, except the monitor actually completely goes to sleep).

The problem with HDMI and DisplayPort monitors is that Windows detects them as plug-and-play devices, so when they get turned off, Windows removes them completely as devices. And I assume this is why whenever I turn my HDMI TV/Receiver back on, Windows sets the sound configuration to the default "Stereo", because it thinks they're new devices :/

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Alexander Salnikov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 10/04/2013 17:43:53

Good day Steve,

This feature is hidden very deep in system drivers and currently we have no ability to reach it somehow.
Anyway we will inform you as soon as we will find the way.

Have a nice day

Any questions?Mail to support@actualtools.com!

Fabian La maestra

Posted: 05/24/2016 11:52:57

I think I am having the same issue.

I did not see this issue when I ran two 1080p monitors using AWM.

I only started to see this when I installed two additional 4k displays via a new GTX 960 video card, so running four monitors total now.

My config is:

win7 pro 64bit
actual win manager 8.8.3

When my monitors all go to sleep, and then I come back to the windows login screen, right after I login, all of my displays start to flicker/shift for a little while, as my backgrounds are re-set to their locations defined in AWM. Is there a way to hold the backgrounds in place on resume from sleep?  IOW, is there something I can do to make sure that AWM keeps my monitors background image settings/locations?

I read that this may be related to the default MS login Window not being 4k and somehow the OS gets confused when the monitors come back from being asleep. not sure..

I do not have any screen savers, the only selection is 'blank' for all monitors.

I can youtube this login 'event' if it will help. Let me know.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/26/2016 16:29:50

Hello, Fabian

It would be very helpful if you'd captured the video showing the issue.

Could you also send us your configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (Configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support).

What interfaces do you use to connect your monitors (DVI, HDMI etc)?

Fabian La maestra

Posted: 05/27/2016 06:11:19

OK, please see this information:

https://youtu.be/yUPl5MpAd0Y

and I had to send you the config file to the email support @ AWM  attached.

Thanks again,

Fabian.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/27/2016 17:03:02

Fabian,

We haven't recieved configuration files from you. Could you send it again?

Could you also give access to the video? Now it's private.

Fabian La maestra

Posted: 05/28/2016 01:06:26

OK, please try the video again..

i'll resent the file..

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search