Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Very simple switch Monitor ids , Make windows id 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 3449

Allan Levy

Posted: 02/04/2013 07:16:23

Apparently, no way to do this in 7.  Want windows to id monitor 2 as 1 and 2 as 1.  Wife likes large monitor as 1.

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 02/07/2013 14:37:03

You can "sort of" do this already, to some extent:

Right click the AWM icon on the taskbar. There's a menu section that has "Desktop Profiles", "Manage Secondary", and "Set Primary". Depending on the menu and monitor clicked, you can quickly set any monitor as primary or secondary (1 or 2).

What I do:

Sometimes I have a third monitor that I use (a connected HDTV), but when I'm not using it, it's off. When it's on, however, I usually want it to be my primary monitor. So I set up a separate "Desktop Profile" for each setup. When I turn the HDTV on, I right-click the taskbar icon and select the "TV" profile. In this profile, I have the HDTV set as the primary monitor (number 1). When I turn it off, I click the "PC" profile, which sets my LCD monitor as primary.

(Technically, my HDTV always appears "on", as it's connected through a receiver hooked up to my computer via HDMI)

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 02/07/2013 14:53:33

I'm mistaken -- my suggestion doesn't actually change the literal numbering of the monitors in Windows. It does change the number "figuratively", which display is primary/secondary.

My guess would be that the ability to change a monitor's numbering is fairly "hard"-coded into the OS (perhaps through GPU drivers?), and something that wouldn't be possible to change through software, only through the physical connection ordering set by Windows/GPU/display driver.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/14/2013 02:58:36

Hello gentlemen.

Allan, we'll consider your request.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics