New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «[FIXED] Multi monitor taskbar not appearing at boot » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 36234

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 10/21/2016 21:41:23

Dear all,

I've been having an issue on my work laptop since I upgraded to the W10 anniversary edition 1607. The problem is that most times after a reboot, the taskbars do not appear on any of my monitors. The other features (titlebar buttons, key bindings, window positioning, etc) work as intended, it's just the taskbars that don't show up.

If I stop - start AWM nothing changes and the same goes for re-installation. Also, I've tried deleting the MultimonTaskbar registry key as suggested in http://www.actualtools.com/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=4019 and at the next boot all 3 of them appeared, but as soon as I restarted my PC they were gone again.

I'm using AWM - 8.9.1 on Windows 10 Pro x64 - version 1607 - build 14393.21.

P.S. Is there any logfile that I can check to figure out what the problem might be?

Kind regards

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/24/2016 16:57:46

Hello, Corneliu

The problem is that most times after a reboot, the taskbars do not appear on any of my monitors.
Do you mean sometimes the taskbars appear after reboot even without deleting the Actual Multiple Monitors registry key? Or do they appear ONLY after you delete the registry key?

Does the "Unhide taskbars" button (Configuration module > Multiple Monitors > Taskbar > Unhide taskbars) make the taskbars appear?

Best regards.

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 10/24/2016 17:21:06

Hi Bogdan,

- Rarely, maybe one in several reboots it appears without deleting the key. Actually I haven't tried deleting the key again
- Unhide taksbars also does nothing. Sorry, forgot to mention I had tried this as well

Kind regards

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 10/25/2016 14:52:48

Oh, and while at it, I'd like to bring another issue to your attention. I can no longer open the calendar by clicking on the associated systray area. As you can see in the image below, nothing happens when I click it, and after a few rapid clicks the "taskbars freeze". They "unfreeze" (possibly restarting) if I the press the windows key.

User added an image

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/25/2016 15:22:22

Corneliu,

What is your monitor setup? On what monitors the Actual Multiple Monitors taskbars are set to be enabled?

What are the DPI settings of your monitors? If the DPI settings are not standard (more than 100%) then could you change them to 100% and see whether the issure persists?

What interfaces do you use to connect the monitors to the computer (DVI, HDMI etc)? Do you use USB video adapters?

Could you try to change the taskbars position when they appear (place them to different sides for each monitor) and see whether they appear after restsrt of the computer?

About the problem with calendar: could you try to disable the "Replace the system taskbar" option, bring the calendar from the system taskbar once and then try to bring the calendar from AMM taskbar? Does it appear now?

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 10/25/2016 16:20:02

Bogdan,

You can find below answers for all of you questions, please let me know if you require any additional details:

1) What is your monitor setup? On what monitors the Actual Multiple Monitors taskbars are set to be enabled?
I have a 3 monitor setup: left monitor 1600x900, center main laptop 1600x900, right monitor 1440x900. Taskbars are set on "Individual" mode with "replace the system taskbar" option enabled.

2)What are the DPI settings of your monitors?
DPI is standard 100%

3) What interfaces do you use to connect the monitors to the computer (DVI, HDMI etc)? Do you use USB video adapters?
Left monitor is DVI, right is VGA both from a docking station. However, I can also reproduce this with just 1 monitor attached via VGA directly to the laptop. No USB video adapters used.

4)Could you try to change the taskbars position when they appear (place them to different sides for each monitor) and see whether they appear after restsrt of the computer?
I will try, but I can't see why this is relevant after having completely deleted the MultimonTaskbar registry key

5)About the problem with calendar: could you try to disable the "Replace the system taskbar" option, bring the calendar from the system taskbar once and then try to bring the calendar from AMM taskbar? Does it appear now?
Yes, now it appears

----

Is there any kind of a log I could maybe check for exceptions, stacktraces, etc? I already saw the "show log window" option but that seems to only display data and processing rules for window events.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/29/2016 21:05:08

Hello, Corneliu

Could you open task manager (details tab) when the taskbars don't appear and see whether there is ActualMultipleMonitorsShellCenter64.exe process in the list of processes.

Could you also send us a screenshot of all processes running in your system when the taskbars don't appear and your configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (Configuration files > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support). Please add a link to this topic to the email.

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 11/04/2016 17:20:14

Hi Bogdan,

Sorry it took so long, but I just put my PC to sleep the last few days to avoid having to restart it in order to get my taskbars (done it 3 times this morning). You should now have an email with the configuration files and a text file with all the running processes (screenshot was to small to fit all).

Since I'm running AWM I suppose that by "ActualMultipleMonitorsShellCenter64.exe" you mean "ActualWindowManagerShellCenter64.exe". Looking at the list of tasks from the above mentioned text file, I can not see it running. There are only 2 instances of "ActualWindowManagerCenter".

Please let me know if you require any additional information.

Kind regards

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/07/2016 16:41:42

Corneliu,

Could you install the beta version of the program, restart the PC so that the taskbars don't appear and see whether the Actual Window Manager Error Report window appears when the problem happens. If the Error Report window appears, then choose Send Error Report and send us an email containing the error information.

Best regards.

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 11/09/2016 18:13:42

Hi Bogdan,

Sure thing. Not entirely sure if it's somehow related, but one interesting thing is that I had the "Options -> General -> Control center options -> Run the library from the installation folder" option checked, and after unchecking it and doing a couple of restarts my taskbars show up. Nonetheless, it's to early to conclude that this was the problem.

I've installed the beta, and I'll keep you posted after I do a few more restarts.

Kind regards

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register