New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Skype chat restrict size / placement misbhaving , AWM 8.8.1, Skype 7.24.0.104 and Windows 10 64bit » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 13016

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 07/12/2016 15:14:55

Another post-Windows 10 issue I think. I have a specific rule for skype chat windows which does 3 things:

- Restrict their width to 576px
- Restrict their position 'right only'
- Rolls them up on inactive

This has been working perfectly on Windows 8.1 and earlier for years. Now on Windows 10, I guess because of the weird external border to windows, they jump around and basically behave erratically. It's quite hard to describe, but symptoms include:

- They don't roll up to the title bar on first 'inactivate' - once the window is created, it shows as normal, and then on losing focus it rolls up by about 60%. If I then focus it again, it unrolls to its original size, and on the _next_ loss of focus, it rolls up to just the titlebar as it should

- They don't stay right-aligned to the screen - say I open 2 skype chat windows (s1 and s2) and another unrelated window (e.g. notepad - n1). The starting conditions are that s1 and s2 a rolled up, and n1 is a normal window. The pattern goes like this: Activate s1 - it unrolls and is right aligned. Activate n1 and s1 rolls up and s2 jumps 10px or so to the left. Activate s2 and it jumps back to being right-aligned. Activate n1 and s2 rolls up and s1 jumps 10px to the left.

I've also seen the width change by the same 10px or so - looks to be about equal to the invisible 'draggable' area outside a window that Win10 seems to use for resizing windows.

Hope that makes sense - I can do a screen capture if not!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/15/2016 18:30:57

Hello, David

I was unable to reproduce the issues with the version 7.25.66.106 of Skype. Could you update Skype to the latest version and see whether the problem still persists?

And could you also test if the problem appears with the latest version of AWM 8.8.3?

Could you send us your configuration files using The Send to Tech Support tool (Configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support). Please add a link to this topic to the email.

Do you have any non-standard settings in Skype besides "Split Window View"?

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 07/15/2016 18:52:01

Skype had already updated to an even later version - 7.25.85.106, but the behaviour was the same. The only other setting I have on Skype is 'Compact sidebar view', but I think that only affects the main Skype window.

Using AWM 8.8.3, it is slightly different, but still not right I think:

On first opening the 2 Skype chats, everything works as expected - but note that the windows don't align with the right edge of the monitor, they have a roughly 10px gap, which I presume is the new 'outside' drag area that Win10 seems to use.

The problem starts if you resize the chat window (e.g. by dragging the top or bottom of the window up or down a little). On doing this, the window 'jumps' to the right edge, putting the drag handle 'off screen' (in fact, I have a second monitor to the right, so I guess technically it is still on the desktop). On releasing the drag handle for window resize, it jumps back to the left again. So in fact, you don't even need rollup (I disabled rollup and still see the jumping).

I will send my config anyway, but hopefully that is enough to reproduce it :).

Thanks!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/19/2016 16:51:05

Hello, David

On first opening the 2 Skype chats, everything works as expected - but note that the windows don't align with the right edge of the monitor, they have a roughly 10px gap, which I presume is the new 'outside' drag area that Win10 seems to use.
This has been confirmed. It's probably caused by interaction between Skype and Windows 10 as it doesn't depend on our software.

On doing this, the window 'jumps' to the right edge, putting the drag handle 'off screen'
This issue has been confirmed. We'll try to figure out what exactly causes this and fix it.

But i was able to reproduce the described issues with the version 8.8.1 only partially. Could you send us a screenshot of your monitors layout and specify the resolutions for each display.

Could you also check whether the Restrict Placement option of the Specific Settings for Skype chat windows influence the issues in the 8.8.1 version by temporarily disabling it and re-starting Skype?

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 07/20/2016 17:39:45

Some more weirdness and partial answers...

First of all, if I 'pause' AWM, I notice that Skype chat windows 'snap' to the edge of the screen with the 10px gap and won't go any 'closer' to the edge. With AWM running, they snap to the 10px gap _and_ snap to the absolute edge of the screen. So I think it's this edge snapping which might be causing some of the misbehaviour.

Turning off restrict placement doesn't seem to stop AWM restricting placement - I still see it as ticked in the skype chat window and I can't move the window away from the right-hand edge, even after stopping / starting AWM and skype...

Screenshot attached showing those settings, and my monitor layout - skype is snapped to the right-hand edge of monitor 1, with monitor 2 fullscreen browser, half-way through this message :). Both monitors are 1600x1200.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/21/2016 12:43:43

David,

Skype somehow keeps AWM settings which were applied to it first until you restart Skype (quit completely and start again). So, you need to change settings in AWM and then restart Skype in order to make Skype accept new settings.

Does the restrict placement option influence the rollup issue?

With AWM running, they snap to the 10px gap _and_ snap to the absolute edge of the screen.
Previously you wrote that the gap disappears while you resizing the Skype window, this has been confirmed. But do you mean Skype windows snap to the display border without gap in some other situations? What are these situations?

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 07/21/2016 18:08:40

Ah - sorry, I hadn't fully understood what you meant about restarting Skype.

After disabling Restrict Placement and restarting skype, the jumping around on roll / unroll has stopped. I do still see the issue when resizing the skype chat window though. To reproduce:

- Position the chat window 'snapped' to the bottom right hand edge of the screen (in fact, it now has the 10px gap below and to the right, and won't snap to the absolute edge of the monitor)
- Drag the top edge to shrink / grow the height of the window

During dragging, the right and bottom edges of the window do snap to the edge of the desktop, and on releasing the drag they jump back.

It seems that skype just doesn't like being near the edge (or maybe windows in general on Win10?). I think the Restrict Placement setting I had was putting the window hard up against the edge of the desktop (Right:1600), and this 'fights' with the window trying to leave the 10px gap for the invisible drag handle. I don't really want that gap, but perhaps Win10 enforces it?

I've been able to replicate some of the problems with Notepad for example - it's not quite as jumpy as skype, but even with those restrict placement settings, it leaves a 10px gap _until_ you resize the window or move it up and down. However, once aligned hard to the right hand edge it does stay there, unlike skype.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/31/2016 20:47:34

David,

in fact, it now has the 10px gap below and to the right
I wrote you before about this gap. This is how Skype interacts with Windows 10.

During dragging, the right and bottom edges of the window do snap to the edge of the desktop, and on releasing the drag they jump back.
This issue has been confirmed, i also wrote you before about it. We'll try to fix it. The Snap to monitor/desktop boundaries option of AWM triggers this behavior (Configuration module > Layout and snap > Window Snapping > Classic > To monitor/desktop boundaries) but it's more associated with peculiarity of the Skype window.

I've been able to replicate some of the problems with Notepad for example
I was unable to get the same gap with Notepad. Does it happen when AWM is not started?

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 08/23/2016 18:06:19

Sorry for the long delay - holidays, etc...

Re Notepad, the behaviour is not the same without AWM running, since I do not have any 'snap' features without AWM. One other thing I noticed when AWM _is_ running (with snap enabled) is that if I move a notepad window (no specific rules applied) to the bottom right of the right-hand monitor, it snaps to the edge of the screen and top of the task bar. But now I can't get to the bottom drag handle of the window - presumably it is 'behind' the taskbar. Even more bizarre is the right hand drag area. If I move the mouse slowly to the right of the window, I get no drag handle, as there is no 'space' for it to go outside the scrollbar area. However if I 'fling' the mouse to the right, I _do_ get a draghandle.

I'm guessing windows expect the external drag area to be available except when in maximised state. I see something like this with apps I've created which measure the screen (monitor) size and set their window to be that size so they're effectively maximised without actually being maximised. On Windows 10, they all get a small transparent border around them which on Windows 8 would be the real window border.

What I'd really like is to be able to set that border to a real colour not transparent, but meddling with windows theme files just seems to lead to a world of pain :(

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 08/23/2016 21:37:53

In fact, just to be 100% precise, the windows which set themselves to be the full monitor size have the small gap on the left, bottom and right edges, not the top edge. It seems the draghandle for the top edge is inside the titlebar area, so the window doesn't need extra space there.

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register