New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 17
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Actual Multiple Monitors desktop dividers not working » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 11601

John Pagel

Posted: 06/06/2016 19:30:48

I apologize if this is already out there, but after looking through the forums I did not see it.

I bought my AMM license a little over a year ago at my last job.  The updates expired (after 1 year) and then I started my new job (therefore new computer).  I re-downloaded and am still in the 30 day trial period.  I want to purchase the software again but there is one significant problem.

The desktop dividers will not work with Window's Explorer.  That is, if I have folders open, the desktop divider tiles do not recognize them.  I never had this problem in the past and am wondering if it is just the latest version of AMM.  Or, is it just me having this issue.  They work fine with every other program (with one exception)...

That exception is SolidWorks.  However, they have never worked with Solidworks (past and present).  This is not nearly as big of an issue as the Window's Explorer problem, but still a little annoying and perhaps related?

AMM Version: 8.8.3
Windows: 7 Enterprise SP1, 64-bit
SolidWorks: 2015 Premium x64 Edition, SP 5.0

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

John

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/07/2016 20:00:40

Hello, John

I was unable to reproduce the issue.

Do you mean that the desktop divider's tiles aren't highlighted when you drag an explorer window (like Desktop Divider is disabled) or the tiles are highlighted but windows refuse to fill tiles?

Are the explorer windows processed by Actual Multiple Monitors at all (if they're processed they usually should have extra title buttons and window menu items)? Check, whether the explorer application is not in the list of Exclusions of Actual Multiple Monitors (Configuration module > Window Settings > Exclusions).

If it doesn't help, then send us your configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tools (Configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support). Add a link to this topic to the email.

John Pagel

Posted: 06/07/2016 23:12:12

Bogden,

Thank you for the response.  The divider tiles do not appear at all when dragging an explorer window (like Desktop Divider is disabled).  I checked and the windows are not being processed by AMM (no extra tile buttons).  I did not see any reference to Explorer in the Exclusions settings.

I sent an email with the configuration settings to support@actualtools.com.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

John

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/09/2016 01:09:18

John,

The desktop dividers will not work with Window's Explorer
This happens because the explorer windows are not affected by AMM. You disabled default settings, so only specific settings are applied to the windows in your system. But you don't have the specific settings for explorer windows. If you want these windows to be affected by AMM, you need either enable default settings or create the specific settings for the explorer windows.
But if you're going to enable default settings, i advise you to enable also the exclusions of the standard set. They're made intentionally to prevent the unwanted effects on some windows and it's not recommended to disable them.

John Pagel

Posted: 06/20/2016 20:22:59

Bogdan,

You were right, that was definitely it.  I was simply trying to remove the tile buttons when I made a bigger mess.  Thank you for pointing this out, it is working great again.

On a side note, I am still unable to get AMM to work with SolidWorks.  Even with default settings applied, AMM is not recognizing the Solidworks window at all.  I assume that the problem stems from SolidWorks and not my settings for AMM, because Solidworks is the only program I have this issue with.  However, I was simply wondering if you had heard of this bug before.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing back.

John Pagel

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/22/2016 14:43:21

Hello, John

The problem with SolidWorks is a known problem. We'll try to fix it and notify you once the problem is fixed.

Best regards.

Troy G.

Posted: 08/03/2016 06:08:03

Hello Bogdan,

I am having the same issue with TradeStation 9.5 that John is having with SolidWorks.  Is there any workaround for this?  

I am a trader and I would like to use a large LED TV to function as 4 separate monitors.  If Desktop Divider will not work on my trading software I won't be able to make that happen.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Regards,
Troy

John Pagel

Posted: 08/03/2016 23:16:03

Troy,

I'm not sure exactly what you are seeing with TradeStation, but with SolidWorks there is at least a small workaround.  If I click on one of the sides or the corner of the window to resize it manually, the desktop dividers will show up and the window will snap to them.  However, this can only be done by either resizing one side at a time, or two sides at a time if you grab the corner of the window.

I know this is not ideal, but it may at least be better than nothing.  Obviously it's much better to be able to snap the whole thing into place at once, but this may work for you in the meantime.

John

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/04/2016 01:59:32

Hello, Troy

What Actual Tools product are you running (name, version)?

First of all we need to make sure that TradeStation window is processed by Actual Tools program. Open the log window: Actual Tools tray icon context menu > Show log window. Check the Enable logging checkbox and then launch TradeStation. Does the corresponding item appear in the log window? What is the "Rule name" parameter value for this item?

Does the TradeStation window have Actual Tools extra title buttons and window menu items?

I would like to use a large LED TV to function as 4 separate monitors
Are you familiar with the Desktop Divider feature? It doesn't really divide one monitor into several "virtual monitors", it just divides your desktop into custom areas, where you can put windows. Do you know this?

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/04/2016 14:55:09

John,

Since there is workaround for the problem with SolidWorks, could you try to enable the "Make the entire window area responsive to dragging/sizing" (Configuration module > Mouse > Drag and Scroll) and see whether dragging the SolidWorks window using this feature also solves this problem?

Messages 1 - 10 of 17
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register