New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Delay when switching between multiple virtual desktops , Delay when switching between multiple virtual desktops » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 8730

Morgan S

Posted: 04/19/2016 06:38:41

SO, when i go to switch between desktops, the first switch is almost always instantaneous(or nearly), but when i try to switch a 2nd or 3rd time there is usually a long delay before i am a able to switch again.

I have also noticed that the delay often matches how long it takes the background to change.  Might this be related to some sort of lockout of ignoring new switch to other desktop commands until background images are loaded etc?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/19/2016 19:52:10

Hello, Morgan

What OS are you running (name, version)?

What our product are you running (name, version)?

Does every virtual desktop have its own background picture in your case? Could you try to change virtual desktops wallpaper settings to Current Windows background and see whether it helps?

What is the size and resolution of the pictures you're using as background pictures?

How long does it take the background to change usually?

Best regards.

Morgan S

Posted: 04/19/2016 23:34:07

I am running Windows 7 (64 bit)

I have actual tools, Actual Window Manager (complete version)

I originally had each desktop have its own background, but removed the wallpapers to see if that fixed the problem. I have also tried backgrounds of just flat colors using the single picture over entire desktop with no file and just different colors.  

As i am not using wallpaper files, the pictures do not have a resolution, but i have noticed this issue on layouts of 2x 1920x1080 screens as well as now i am running a 4k dispaly and 1080p display.

Like i said, the 1st desktop change is usually instant, with a 3-4 second delay before i am able to change virtual desktops again.  Also, the command to change desktops is ignored for the 3-4 seconds.  I have to wait for the background to update before even attempting to change virtual desktops again.

It appears as if Virtual Desktop Manager ignores desktop change commands until it is complete in loading the previously commanded desktop. I have also noticed that the delay seems to be longer when switching desktops using hotkeys instead of the desktop switcher start menu icon.

i have seen this issue on multiple hardware configurations as well.  I have yet to test it on a computer with a dedicated video card though.  I can test at home if needed.

Thanks again,

Morgan

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/20/2016 17:46:18

Morgan,

By version of our product i meant the version number. For example the latest version is 8.8. You can quickly see it by hovering the mouse pointer over the Actual Window Manager tray icon.

Could you try to change virtual desktops wallpaper settings to Current Windows background and see whether it helps? It's important to set this mode for Virtual Desktops in order to figure out this problem.

Morgan S

Posted: 04/21/2016 00:50:16

Sorry for the confusion.

I am using actual window manager 8.7

I have set windows background to use current windows background and it is a bit faster.  It appears that it removed the delay while the background image fades in / out.

My assumption is that AWM is ignoring new Virtual Desktop Commands while still loading the previous commanded virtual desktop.  By removing the need to change backgrounds, the speed is increased, but still not instant.

An option to remove the fade animation on background loading (instant background change) would be nice, but i am not sure if that is a windows limitation or not.

secondly, AWM haing a queue or remembering the last commanded Virtual Desktop would be nice as well.

Overall, this issue is mainly just a minor annoyance.  But i have not seen it mentioned in the forums, so i figured i might as well make a post.  I doubt most people even use virtual desktops.

Thanks again,

Morgan.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/21/2016 14:27:54

I have set windows background to use current windows background and it is a bit faster
Have you set the current background option for all virtual desktops? How long is the delay now?

How many open windows do you have on Virtual Desktops? Try to switch between the Virtual Desktops without any windows opened and see the result. How long is the delay in this case?

AWM haing a queue or remembering the last commanded Virtual Desktop would be nice as well.
We'll consider your request.

Morgan S

Posted: 04/22/2016 03:06:22

Have you set the current background option for all virtual desktops? How long is the delay now?

Yes, all virtual desktops are now "use current windows background"

i guess the best way to explain the time delay would be like this.

1-5 sec                          2 sec
|----------------~---------------|------------------------------|
<------time to load desktop-----> <-- time to load background -->

generally the time to load desktop is 1-5 seconds, and the background load is ~ 2 seconds.

I get that loading the virtual desktops takes time, the part that really irritates me is the dropping of switching commands with no user feedback.  

I have also noticed this is much more apparent using hotkeys for desktop switching than the task-bar button.. This is due to the task-bar button will only display the selection options when AWM is ready for switching desktops.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/22/2016 13:13:24

How many open windows do you have on Virtual Desktops? Try to switch between the Virtual Desktops without any windows opened and see the result. How long is the delay in this case?

Could you clarify: does 1-5 stand for one to five seconds or one and a half second?

When you click on the next virtual desktop in the swithcer while the previous hasn't been loaded yet (when the switcher doesn't take commands as you say), does the virtual desktop change to the next later after some time?

Morgan S

Posted: 04/23/2016 05:34:50

the 1-5 is one to five seconds.  It does appear to be fairly inconsistent.

I generally have 2-4 applications open per desktop. and 3-4 desktops

closing all applications appears to have little effect on desktop switching speed.  But with no windows open, it is harder to tell when desktop changes. i am going based on the text popup that AWM displays.

4 desktops
1) Code
  a) code editing application
  b) powershel for building code
  c) google chrome
  d) hardware Programmer application

2) Documents
  a) Microsoft Word ( documents or manuals )
  b) google chrome PDF
  c) excel spreadsheet etc

3) Run-time debug
  a) packet sniffer application
  b) packet controller application

4) junk.  changes day to day.

figured i would add this in as well.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4950 (3.3 ghz)
Memory: 24 GB DDR3 1600 mhz
GPU: none (integrated CPU)
HD: WDC WD10EZEX-60M2NA0

Morgan S

Posted: 04/23/2016 05:38:09

once again.  i feel i need to assert that the delay is not really the issue(i understand that loading another desktop takes time). The issue is dropped/ignored commands with no user feedback.

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register