New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 17
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «no actual Windows Manager on Viewer program run from File Manager , Shelled programs from Ztree File Manager unaffected » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 6715

Tim Mongeon

Posted: 04/08/2016 00:45:46

Hello.

I run an excellent File Manager called Ztree (Ztreewin at http://www.ztree.com/html/ztreewin.htm).  One of its many features is the ability to open external programs via its Open command (Press 'O' on a highlighted file).  The program that opens the file is still determined by Windows.  For example, I run Xnview (http://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/) as my viewer for image files.  I press O on a PNG or JPG for example, and it opens the file up in xnview just as it would if I was using Windows File Manager.

Although Zteee is under the control of Actual Windows Manager, any programs shelled out or opened from it are not.  The AWM log (I enabled to see if I could determine any error) does not even recognize that a program has been opened.

If I run Xnview independently, it is under AWM control and does show up in the log but this is an inconvenience and I really use xnview and other programs from Ztree.

Any ideas?

Tim

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/08/2016 10:51:44

Hello, Tim

Probably, the option "Support the system utilities and administrative tools" wasn't enabled during the AWM installation process. To check this, start AWM, then start the Windows registry editor (Win+R, then type regedit and press OK in the Run window) and see whether the registry editor window is affected by AWM. If it's not affected, then the mentioned option wasn't enabled. You should reinstall AWM enabling this option as it only can be done during the installation.

Let us know whether it solves your problem.

Best regards.

Tim Mongeon

Posted: 04/09/2016 00:27:16

Thanks for replying.

Yes the registry window is affected by AWM so I do have it set for supporting system utilities so that is not the problem.

It affects any program opened or run from the file manager but not the file manager itself.  Perhaps AWM is not recognizing child processes? Ztree can open files using the program associated with that file type.  For some files Ztree uses a shell program called zshell.exe to perform the task, but not always.  Whether the program has been shelled or not, the result is the same.  Any program opened from Ztree is not recognized.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/10/2016 17:22:33

Tim,

What OS are you running (name, version)?

What versions of AWM and ZTreeWin are you running?

Tim Mongeon

Posted: 04/11/2016 04:52:13

I m running Windows 10 Pro 1511 10586.164  along with AWM 8.8 and Ztree v2.4156.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/12/2016 15:17:59

Tim,

I can't see this behavior. For me, windows opened via ZTreeWin are affected by AWM, and i have the same versions.

But i've tried to reproduce this with notepad and the Windows 10 Photos app, as you've said the problem persists for any program. Does the problem persist for these applications for you?

Have you changed some options of ZTreeWin related to applications launching mode?

Could you open several applications from ZTreeWin, then run the command prompt and run the following command:
tasklist /m aim*
then send us the screenshot depicting the results of this command and specify the applications you've previously launched from ZTreeWin.

Tim Mongeon

Posted: 04/13/2016 01:32:35

As for Microsoft Photo App - not sure how you opened it fr om Ztree.  If I go to the directory,

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_16.325.12390.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\

and try to run Microsoft.Photos.exe, it won't run (this happens even using Windows File Manager.  I conclude that Windows disallows the program to be run directly other than from the Start menu).  It will run fine from the Start menu.  Same with Notepad.exe from

C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-notepad_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_fba025d41a56eea4\

I have textpad set as my internal editor for Ztree.  This program is affected by AWM - but it is internally configured (using Alt F10). If I use Notepad as my internal editor, it too will be OK.  I have, however, found the behavior to be inconsistent even using the O (open) command.  For example, opening Textpad.exe will be OK  (internally configured or not) while xnview is not.  

There are no configuration settings that affect the launching of programs via the O open command.

I don't see wh ere I can attach more than one image file (I have three).  Is it the Load image for this message below under the reply?  I did not know so I sent them to you separately in an email.

The three sample show running xnview (via O in its directory on xnview.exe), Power Archiver (run indirectly opening a 7z file that ran the archiver program), and textpad (via O in its directory on textpad.exe).  The only file that was affected and showed up in the tasklist was Textpad.  Strange.

Tim Mongeon

Posted: 04/19/2016 21:46:37

Did you get the files I sent?  

Have not heard back from you.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/20/2016 19:47:25

Tim,

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, we got your screenshots.

Could you launch 32-bit version of notepad (it is placed here: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Notepad) within Windows, not within ZTreeView and see whether the notepad window is processed by AWM?
Then launch the same 32-bit notepad via ZTreeWin and see the result.

Then open the Task Manager > Details tab, click any column name, them click Select columns and check the Platform item in the column list.

Then check the Platform parameter of the ZTreeWin process is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

And also check whether both ActualWindowManager.exe (32 bit) and ActualWindowManager64.exe (64 bit) are running.

Tim Mongeon

Posted: 04/25/2016 01:54:32

Hi.

Okay.  Launch Notepad.exe independent is affected by AWM.  Launch through Ztree - no.  Ztree was 64 bit,  Installed 32 bit Ztree as well to further test - same results.  Both the 32 bit and 64 bit ActualWindowManager are running as well as a 64 bit ActualManager ShellCenter.

Messages 1 - 10 of 17
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register