Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Multiple monitors with laptop , When redocked - doesn't restore apps to correct monitor » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 2216

steve Davis

Posted: 12/03/2015 21:58:11

Actual Multiple Monitors shows promise, but the main reason I purchased the app for is not working.  

I have a Sony Vaio and Windows 8.  I have two external monitors. I have set one of the external monitors as the primary (monitor 2), and the second external as Monitor 3.  I have configured apps to monitor 2 and 3 (e.g. Outlook on 2, Excel on 3).  If all applications are closed, and they are launched from the task bar, they launch onto the correct external monitor.  

The problem is when I undock, go home and work on laptop standalone.  When I do a sleep process, then come in and plug laptop into dock -- all the apps stay loaded on the laptops screen and I have to go redrag everything onto the external monitors.  

Is there something in Windows or Actual Multiple Monitors that is setup wrong?  Is the above possible with the software, or am I asking too much.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/05/2015 16:55:36

Hello, Steve

Did i understand correct, that the sequence is following: first the laptop goes to sleep mode with the applications launched (including Actual Multiple Monitors) > then you plug the laptop into the dock and wake it up from sleep mode > the applications stays on the laptop display as before you've put the laptop in the sleep mode?

Try to Pause/Resume Actual Multiple Monitors to reapply the settings to all applications launched on your laptop. Right click on the AMM system tray icon > Pause > the same context menu > Resume.

Tell us whether this helps.

Best regards.

steve Davis

Posted: 12/05/2015 18:53:43

The sequence is:
1) At work where i have the two external monitors, I launch Excel, Word, Outlook etc.  I am working on three spreadsheets on External Monitor (#3) for example.  I put the laptop in sleep mode and head home
2) when I resume fr om sleep at home, the Excel spreadsheets come up fine on laptop (wh ere i dont have any external monitors). All good there.   I put laptop in sleep mode
3) Next day at work, when I plug laptop back up to dock, everything that I left running before the sleep the night before is now "stuck" and displaying on the laptop screen only.  If i close out Excel and restart it, AMM sticks it back on to the external monitor but that is cumbersome.

I am wondering if something has changed in Windows, because this used to work properly until about a week ago for some unknown reason without AMM installed.  Was hoping AMM could fix it

I will try what you are suggesting above, I believe with the hope that the resume will force pushing the applications to the appropriate external monitors?

steve Davis

Posted: 12/07/2015 21:28:57

Hi Bogdan - question.  Should I be trying to do the pause function before I do sleep on the laptop, work on the laptop at home without an external monitor and just do sleep (e.g. no AMM pause used there), then the next monitor when the laptop is connected to the dock let Windows resume and then do a AMM resume and it should place the applications onto the correct monitors?

That is what I tried and it replaced the apps back onto Monitor 2, but didnt replace the apps (Chrome and Excel for example), back to Monitor 3

I am wondering what I should setup as my primary monitor in AMM and in Nvidia, the main external monitor?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/08/2015 14:01:29

Steve,

The point of using pause/resume is to re-apply the settings for all programs currently running on your laptop. If you allocate these windows among the monitors using the Specific Settings ("Move to monitor at Startup" action of Specific settings for certain application), then these settings will be applied to the windows again. For example, if the settings for the certain program are "Move to monitor 3 at Startup" and later it were moved from monitor 3 to monitor 1, the pause/resume action will return the window to monitor 3.

It is the only way to restore the location of these windows using our program. But also you can reapply settings to each program separately using the Win+F5 hotkey.

In this situation you should apply the pause/resume sequence after you've connected the laptop to the docking station.

this used to work properly until about a week ago for some unknown reason without AMM installed.
As far as i know, Windows OS don't keep locations for windows in this case. Could you give me the exact sequence of your actions in this situation? Are you sure that you were using the Sleep mode? Were you using some third-party software to keep the locations of the windows?

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register