Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «How To Start AWM at login Or boot? , Start AWM at Login » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 3066

Michael Blackkatt

Posted: 05/18/2015 20:07:23

Hi guys!

Two question,

1, does your Celebrating discount last until tomorrow? I can buy this baby first then.
2, how to start AWM at login or boot?

The thing is, I like to be able to change "desktop profiles" while at the login screen, using the hotkeys.

Theres times when I'm in the kitchen where my second monitor is. Which is not normally on. And I have to reboot. I have to go back in to my bedroom where my main monitor is and change the "desktop profiles" there after I've logged back in...

Using, Win8.1 x64.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 05/19/2015 12:45:32

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the post.

1, does your Celebrating discount last until tomorrow? I can buy this baby first then.
- Yes, it does.

2, how to start AWM at login or boot?
- Here is the option you need: Actual Window Manager -> Options -> General -> Load at startup.

Best regards.

Michael Blackkatt

Posted: 05/19/2015 13:33:55

Hmm, no I've ofc used that option. That does not start at login. Or if it does the hotkeys does not respond.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 05/20/2015 11:03:31

Michael,

Are you sure that Actual Window Manager is fully loaded when you are trying to use the hotkeys?
If yes, please send us your configuration files (Actual Window Manager -> Tools -> Configuration -> Send to Tech Support) and specify which exactly hotkeys do not work.

Michael Blackkatt

Posted: 05/20/2015 13:05:30

Hi!

I can't know if its loaded or not as I'm at the login screen! =) but I have waited for about 5 minutes, giving it time to start but its a no go. I tried the "Send to Tech Support" the other day, but it fails. However, what is sent there is the same as I get when I do a backup, correct? ActualWindowManager.zip ? if so I can email you that one. (the manual option to send in the Configuration Files.zip now came up) Do you have the email address at hand?

The hotkeys are "ctrl + alt + 1" and "ctrl + alt + 2"

Eric Walker

Posted: 05/20/2015 21:38:57

I'm going to give my 2₵ here, as I think I just got this issue resolved.

The programs not starting during startup/login is a known Windows issue since about Vista, but I've yet to see a specific reasoning behind what's happened (especially not Microsoft, although the fix came from MS) to cause this state of affairs.

AWM has never worked for me to load at startup since the first windows updates were pushed to my laptop by our IT staff.  I had tried disabling the option, re-enabling the option, un/re-installing to make sure “Support system utilities and administrative tools” was used during the install and could never consistently get AWM to load at startup.

I found this question and it's responses that claims it has to do with the programs requesting to start with windows requiring elevated privileges and Win7 just straight blocking them from running.  (AFAIK, only AWM requires to run as admin, the rest of my startup programs do not. [e.g. f.lux, rescue time, google chrome auto-launch, logitech setpoint utils])

The solution was to move everything from the normal startup locations [HKLM/HKCU\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and start menu startup folder] to scheduled tasks that are triggered at logon and set to run with highest privileges. While this allowed everything to run shortly after logon, it would bring the machine to it's knees as it tried to load everything at once. I solved that by delaying each group (HKLM/HKCU/StartMenu\Programs\Startup) by 1 minute and now my login occurs normally and ALL my programs actually run.

The only downside to this method is having to make the scheduled task entry for each program that would normally be in the registry or start menu\startup folder.  

HTH,
Eric

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 05/21/2015 10:53:53

Michael,

Are you writing about this Login screen:
User added an image

If yes, Actual Window Manager should not work while you are on the Login screen.

Michael Blackkatt

Posted: 05/21/2015 13:20:30

That login screen? hehehe (sorry) yes of course there ain't no other login screen =)

I guess I have to do the old workaround like Eric Walker suggested =/

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register