New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 31 - 40 of 53
First | Prev. | 2 3 4 5 6 | Next | Last 

Topic: «AWM 8.2.2 taskbar buttons not minimising / restoring windows , Strange z-order and maximise / minimise behaviour » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 34000

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 04/13/2015 15:15:58

Yes - I use both AWM and Synergy on a daily basis. There certainly was a problem being experienced by many Synergy users (see my earlier posts with links to Synergy support threads), and Synergy have issued a fix for that, which has solved the problem for Synergy users. But sadly it seems there's still an issue (for me at least) using both Synergy and AWM together. All of the problems I've posted about here can be solved by stopping / unloading AWM (whilst leaving Synergy running), so I'm pretty sure it's not _just_ a Synergy problem. But I can't really afford to stop using either...

I'm currently using Synergy 1.6.3 (the standard current stable release), and I've tried AWM 8.2 and all the 8.3 beta versions so far. All have had _some_ issues, although to be perfectly honest, I've kind of lost track of what goes wrong where.

My speculative theory is that there's something screwy about one of the Win8 updates which has broken one or more things to do with window minimise / maximise / focus / z-order, and this is at the root of both the Synergy and AWM issues (see the Synergy thread about MS including UI changes in 'important security updates'). It's also possible that Synergy and AWM interact in some bad way (although from Susi's post, that's not the only issue).

My current list of snags is:
  • Minimise / maximise broken - fixed by Synergy
  • Sublime Text 3 - can't deselect text (single click acts as a drag)
  • z-order frozen - windows become 'stuck' and refuse to jump in front of other windows
All of those problem as somewhat transient - i.e. they are rarely present on first boot, something then triggers them (not obvious what), and then starting / stopping AWM temporarily fixes them (for me at least).

Since the trigger is unknown, all I've been able to to do so far is work 'normally' and try to spot what happens. I will also try running without Synergy loaded for a few days and see if that changes anything.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/13/2015 15:45:31

David,

Susan informed us that the problem she wrote about has been solved in the 8.3 beta 3 version via email.

Please inform us about results of your test with Synegry unloaded.

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 04/14/2015 17:47:20

Day 2 of my experiment with Synergy removed from the picture and running AWM 8.3b3, and the z-order problem has reappeared. I currently have 2 windows (Freecommander XE and PuTTY), and can repeat the problem:

1. Arrange it so that PuTTY is 'in front' of FreeCommander
2. Using the taskbar buttons, minimise PuTTY, then 'restore' it again
3. Click on the FreeCommander taskbar icon

After step 3, FreeCommander has focus, but is still 'behind' PuTTY - I would have expected it to jump to the front having been 'activated' via it's taskbar button.

If I then activate PuTTY via the taskbar button, it gets the focus (and obviously stays in front), I can _then_ activate FreeCommander (via taskbar button), and it jumps to the front.

Basically, once a window has been minimised and restored, it acts like it is 'topmost' _until_ I activate (e.g. give it focus _without_ changing it's minimised state) again. Then all is OK for a while, until I minimise restore a window and the cycle starts again. Note I can get the same behaviour with Freecommander on top and PuTTY being stuck underneath. It also happens with other applications.

I _haven't_ seen the Sublime Text 'can't deselect text' problem yet, so that could be something different.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/16/2015 10:58:36

David,

I've just tried to reproduce the problem with Actual Window Manager 8.3, PuTTY 0.64 and FreeCommander (XE 2015 build 685 32-bit) on Windows 8.1 64-bit and was unable to confirm the problem.

However, I noticed that PuTTY can't be minimized using its taskbar icon with Actual Window Manager unloaded (using native taskbars). Did you try to reproduce the problem with standard applications (e.g. Notepad, Paint etc.)?

Could you send us your configuration files (Actual Window Manager -> Tools -> Configuration -> Send to Tech Support), specify versions of PuTTY and FreeCommander (download links would be great) and attach screenshots of both windows you are able to reproduce the problem with?

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 04/16/2015 16:23:40

I just came to update this thread when I saw your message. My update was that after a cold boot, I'm unable to reproduce the problem until it's been 'triggered', and I still haven't discovered the trigger I'm afraid. Very frustrating. I have the same collection of apps open (Freecommander, PuTTY, ST3, Chrome) as yesterday. So, I will continue monitoring. I'm also using portable versions of some apps, so if / when the problem starts, I will try to reproduce it using only native apps (Calc, Notepad, etc.).

One thing I _did_ notice is that I'm able to minimise / restore PuTTY (0.63) from the taskbar with AWM unloaded. So, maybe there is something configured differently in Win8.1 for me. But how to track that down...?

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/16/2015 17:04:29

David,

Maybe we are talking about different windows of PuTTY.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 04/16/2015 18:03:40

Sorry - typo. I'm running PuTTY 0.64, but I'm running it as a portable app. Download link:

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/putty_portable

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/17/2015 10:41:40

David,

The configuration window of PuTTY can't be minimized via its taskbar icon left click with Actual Window Manager unloaded (using the native taskbar):

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/17/2015 10:43:32

However, I don't think that it's a culprit.
Please, try to trace which exactly actions cause the problem appearing.

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 04/17/2015 14:49:02

Ah - yes, I was using a connected terminal window. Now we agree :). The PuTTY configuration window is supposed to be a kind of dialog box I think. The full terminal window does have regular minimise buttons with AWM unloaded.

The problem didn't recur yesterday, although there were also some MS updates installed, so, as the English saying goes, the goalposts are constantly moving. I'll keep testing and post back here when I find something. Next week, I will need to have Synergy running, so will see what impact that has.

Messages 31 - 40 of 53
First | Prev. | 2 3 4 5 6 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register