New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 16
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «AWM 8.2.2 and Synergy 1.6.2 conflict , AWM with Synergy as a service causes strange keyboard behaviour » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 9126

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 12/12/2014 00:40:46

I've been using AWM and Synergy for ages, but recently noticed some strange behaviour (on Win 8.1 64bit).

I have Synergy server configured as a service, and it works fine for the most part, even with AWM running, but the task switcher behaves in a very odd way - I'll try to describe here:

When I press Alt-Tab, I get the usual pop-up of window icons, but I can't switch between them using the keyboard. When I let go of 'Alt', the switcher window stays on the screen. I can mouse over the icons and they are highlighted, and if I click with the mouse, that application is activated. It's the keyboard shortcut (Alt-Tab) which isn't working beyond bringing up the switcher.

If I 'Stop' AWM, the task switcher returns to its normal behaviour - staying on screen whilst Alt is held, and stepping through apps on each press of Tab, then vanishing when Alt is released. None of this is possible with AWM 'Start'ed again.

If I run the Synergy GUI and do a 'stop' / 'start' cycle of Synergy, all works fine again, even with AWM running. But it's a pain to have to do that. I did email Synergy about this, and their reply was this (before I knew it was connected with AWM):

When you have multiple such utils running, they form a sort
of chain, one feeding inputs to the next. My theory is that
whatever-it-is starts after Synergy during the bootup sequence, but
restarting Synergy moves it to the end of the chain and thereby avoids
the problem.

Is it possible for AWM to not interfere with Synergy in this way? I'd rather keep it as a service, because sometimes I am using a synergy client machine without being logged in to the server machine.

Tx,

Dave.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 12/18/2014 17:14:09

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the post.

Did you try to add the whole category with Synergy to the Exclusions list of Actual Window Manager?
What exactly version from https://synergy-project.org/nightly should I install to reproduce the problem?

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 12/22/2014 22:08:54

Synergy doesn't appear to have any windows - there's nothing in the window list in AWM, and I tried adding an exclusion with just 'Synergy' in the class, but it made no difference.

Re which version, that's tricky as I'm using the pro version and it has no suffix. My suggestion would be to try this one:

https://synergy-project.org/nightly/download/synergy-1.6.2-master-f6c05e7-Windows-x64.msi

and if you can't reproduce it, I'll ask them if you can use my pro account to get to the official download.

Thanks.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 12/24/2014 18:26:50

Dave,

Could you add the Exclusion rule where Window class and Window caption criteria are disabled and the Program criterion equals the Synergy installation directory without its executable file (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Synergy\) and check whether you are able to reproduce the problem or not?

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 12/24/2014 21:09:29

Hi,

I tried what you suggested, but I'm afraid it appeared to make no difference. Stopping / starting AWM restored the normal behaviour as before, regardless of the exclusion rule. I also completely restarted AWM, and it was the same.

Note, the same version of AWM and Synergy work fine on a Synergy client machine; it appears that there's only a problem with Synergy Server (actually a service). On the server machine, there are 2 executables running for Synergy - synergyd.exe and synergys.exe, both in C:\Program Files\Synergy\. I'm afraid they have no version numbers, but the sizesare:

synergyd.exe: 313,856 bytes
synergys.exe: 1,051,648 bytes

and both show as Elevated: Yes in task manager, despite me _not_ ticking 'Elevate Synergy' in the GUI options. I'm not sure what's going on there, but they are both associated with the service, and perhaps services are automatically elevated?

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 12/25/2014 12:02:04

Hello Dave,

I tried to install Synergy using the download link you provided on my Win 8.1 x64 machine.

Unfortunately, I received the following error message:
This beta version requires Bonjour to be installed. Please visit synergy-project.org/bonjour/ to download the Bonjour installer.

Then I went to http://synergy-project.org/bonjour/ and received the following error message:
404: Not Found

Please ask the Synergy support team whether I'm allowed to use your pro account to get to the official download to reproduce the problem or not.

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 01/05/2015 15:22:24

Hi,

The Synergy folk said they'd be happy for you either to contact them directly to get a login for the premium version, or I can download it and send it to you - which would be preferable? Obviously once you have a login, you'll be able to get hold of future versions more easily.

I can send details for either in an email.

Tx,

David.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/12/2015 21:00:39

Hello David,

Please send us (support@actualtools.com) premium version installation files with your login details (if this is necessary to reproduce the problem).

Best regards.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/16/2015 17:38:00

Hello David,

Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce the problem you described.

Could you send us your configuration files (Actual Window Manager -> Tools -> Configuration -> Send to Tech Support)?
Could you also specify what sequence you are starting Actual Window Manager and Synergy (and Starting its server) in?

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 01/16/2015 17:47:35

Config files on their way. Synergy is installed as a service for me - I don't 'start' it using any kind of normal startup procedure. I can recreate the problem here simply by logging in (with all regular startup apps disabled), and then starting AWM manually. I'm not sure whether the fact I have clients configured on Synergy makes a difference - the bug persists whether those clients are connected or not though.

I noticed the bug affects other things than the Alt-Tab switcher too. Sometimes I'm unable to click and drag on text items in various apps to select / copy text too, and this problem vanishes as soon as either AWM is stopped or I restart Synergy's service. Very frustrating.

When I get a moment, I'll try to experiment with any other settings (e.g. a clean user profile) to see if that makes any difference, and let you know.

Messages 1 - 10 of 16
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register