Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «PENDING:Choose next tile if prefered tile occupied by same window type , Does this feature exist? If so, how to set it up? » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 3366

Sandro Krumbein

Posted: 11/20/2014 15:27:49

Hello!

Have been a user of Actual Tools and huge fan for a few years already. The following scenario is coming up again and again, is this possible to solve somehow? (On Version 8.1.4, happy to upgrade if that would help)

Let's say I want to open two or three explorer windows. I have them nicely setup to open in a quarter of the monitor, but of course, I don't want them all to open on top of each other. What I then find myself doing usually is to open all three and then use a right click on the "Put into divider tile" symbol to move them elsewhere. Usually the tile to the right of it for the second one and for the third one the tile below the first. Only takes a few seconds, but if we stopped improving there we wouldn't be using Actual Tools, would we :-)

Now what I imagine is the following: Let's say we set up each quarter of the monitor as a starting tile for the explorer window, but with descending priority. If an explorer window already occupies tile 1, then put the next one in tile 2 etc. Other applications can be ignored, as I never see my desktop anyway and there would else never be an empty spot.

So... Possible already? Or not possible and worth a feature request?

Sandro

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 11/20/2014 20:14:41

Thank you for your message, Sandro!

Am I correct in understanding that Specific Settings' capabilities aren't solving this problem?

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Sandro Krumbein

Posted: 11/21/2014 12:53:28

I have just checked the Position settings again. There are many ways to determine where the window should go, but the most dynamism in terms of placement I can see in making it dependent of the mouse pointer. But I don't want one monitor or the other, but one tile or another. And you can't always have the monitor where you want the window to open, because sometimes you need it elsewhere to open the window :-)

Am I missing something? Did you have a specific setting in mind?

Thanks!
Sandro

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 11/21/2014 13:31:21

Thank you for your reply, Sandro!

I mean using Specific Settings -> Startup -> Put into Divider tile and creating separate Specific Settings rules with a Window caption criterion enabled for each tile. So that a File Explorer window would be put into specific tile according to the initial folder it was opened at.

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Sandro Krumbein

Posted: 11/27/2014 14:03:50

Hello!

Okay, now I know what you mean. That would work if I only had a limited number of different titles and would have a limited number of combinations in which I use them. That's not the case though. So that doesn't seem practical to me

Sandro

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/28/2014 17:38:32

Hello Sandro,

We'll consider adding the "Put into a next not occupied divider tile" action as a feature request and inform you if/when the feature will be implemented in our products.

Best regards.

Sandro Krumbein

Posted: 12/02/2014 13:26:54

Great! :-) Thx

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login