Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Monitors flash several times when monitors wake » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 3759

Scolex

Posted: 10/21/2014 03:15:38

I have my computer configured as always on and only have the monitors turn off but when my monitors wake up they flash several times before staying on.
Programs are also scattered across my monitors in new places once the screens stop flashing, some times the wallpaper is messed up to as in the far left (#1)
of the desktop has a wall paper that extends into monitor 2, I assume this is fr om #3 which is 1920x1080 (HDTV), #1 and #2 are both 1680x1050 monitors.
Monitors #1 and #2 are attached to an Nvidia graphics card (DVI) and monitor three is attached to the motherboard (HDMI) driven by the i5 3570k.
If I disable Actual Windows Manager the behavior stops and the monitors perform normally. I get the same behavior with both 8.2 (trial) and 7.5.1.
I have done a full un/reinstall including going through the registry and removing all occurrences of Actual Tools but the behavior persists.
I have a configuration.zip file saved to send but I don't know wh ere to send it and don't have an email client on my PC I use gmail for everything.

Scolex

Posted: 10/21/2014 03:23:08

I forgot to mention this is new behavior I have been using AWM on this machine for 18 months with no issues.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/22/2014 11:52:52

Dear Scolex,

thank you for your posts.

Please send it to amihalkin@actualtools.com with a reference to this thread. Also please specify your OS and its bitness.

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

Scolex

Posted: 10/22/2014 15:07:45

Email sent subject "Monitors flash several times when monitors wake"
Missed the part about OS so it isn't in the email.
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 fully updated.
All drivers are the latest from Windows update.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/24/2014 16:36:24

Dear Scolex,

thank you for sending us your configuration files.

For some reason I haven't managed to restore the configuration you sent. Have you tried to re-build your configuration from scratch after clean re-install (instead of restoring the config backup)?

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Scolex

Posted: 10/24/2014 17:31:12

The config I sent you was built from scratch after the full un/re-install.
The settings are pretty much default other than disabling title bar buttons and a few location settings.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/27/2014 18:52:04

Thank you for your reply, Scolex.

I haven't yet managed to reproduce the issue. Could you try to delete your video adapter device at Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Display adapters and then select Scan for hardware changes in the Action menu of Device Manager? This should reinstall your video adapter driver.

Did you apply any noticeable changes before the behavior started to appear?

After you did a clean re-install did the behavior start to appear right away with no changes to configuration?

Also please try the latest 8.2.1 version and report your results along with the answers to the questions above.

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/28/2014 14:43:12

And, please try to disable all the Actual Window Manager features on the Multiple Monitors page (you currently have Background slideshow enabled) and check if the behavior stops.

support@actualtools.com

Scolex

Posted: 10/28/2014 18:05:29

I have tried all of the things you suggested, I am using 8.2.1, the behavior started before making any changes.
I have also tried using the monitor connected to the motherboard as the main display, changing the default graphics adapter
from PCIE to integrated in my BIOS, removed all graphics configurations in the registry and many other things I thought might
solve the problem.
My next step is going to be trying a different video card and/or reinstall windows.
The video card is about 7 years old (8800GT) so it may be causing something weird.
This installation of Windows is about 15 months old which is a long time for me due to how often I try new software that I later uninstall.
I am sure the registry is full of orphans so who knows what could be happening.
One thing I have noticed is the longer the monitors are powered down the longer they flash before staying on.
Around the same time this behavior started I also had an issue with Aero I can't recall how I fixed the Aero issue though.
I will keep you posted as I continue to troubleshoot this anomaly.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/29/2014 16:25:31

Thank you for your reply, Scolex!

It seems possible that total re-installing Windows with a system drive formatting might help since the issue was not always present.

Yes, please keep us informed especially if reinstalling Windows doesn't help.

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register