Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[RESOLVED]Temp Folder Error Message » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 4272

Tommy Vance

Posted: 10/20/2014 22:22:38

I'm getting this error message when AMM starts:

User added an image

When I logged on this morning I got that one and similar errors for Google Drive and Dropbox. I was able to fix the other two by changing the permissions of the Temp folder but it didn't seem to work for AMM. I tried saying yes to the question for using the libraries from the installation folder and AMM started working but many of it's functions were not. I've also tried to reinstall the current version and have tried to install an older version. I get this message each time.

I'm not sure what caused it to begin with, yesterday things were fine. The only thing that I remember updating was iTunes. Thanks in advance for helping with this.

Tommy Vance

Posted: 10/20/2014 22:58:06

Update: I just went into options and changed it to run libraries from the installation folder again and this time it seems to be working correctly with all functionality.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/22/2014 11:30:45

Glad you solved your problem, Tommy!

Feel free to contact again whenever necessary!

support@actualtools.com

aph
Advanced user

Posted: 11/08/2014 03:32:50

Unrelated to AWM, but certain versions of Acrobat will create issues with the %temp% folder. I've seen them surface with the few apps you mention like Dropbox, that run fr om the %temp% folder instead of the normal %ProgramFiles% location. You can diagnose most of them by right clicking the folder, Properties, Security, Advanced.

The most common issue I've seen in practice is if its integrity level is set to high. That will prevent any medium (normal) integrity processes from executing anything in it. The only information Windows provides to this effect in the GUI is a cryptic message at the top of the Advanced Security dialog "High Mandatory Level". It does not allow you to change the level from the GUI. The command line utility icacls.exe can change it but not remove it.

Another possibility is that the execute permission is specifically removed from the folder. That's more easily fixed in the dialog.

A third possibility is that the security descriptor contains a flag to enable the "no execute up" policy. That cannot be seen with any Windows utility, GUI or with icacls.exe on the command line. Only a third party utility chml.exe utility can see and remove this flag. That utility can also remove the mandatory integrity level above so it inherits from the parent folder.

When using chml.exe to observe the security descriptor, if you see anything other than SDDL is blank, or "S:AI" or "S:AINO_ACCESS_CONTROL", post back here before making any changes. As it warns multiple times before letting you see that information, it's best not to experiment making changes with that tool.

If none of the above work you can also observe and post back the system drive's root SDDL by issuing the command "chml c: -ss". In the worst case I've traced back issues with Dropbox to an incorrectly set system drive security descriptor.

These can be caused by a number of issues but most notably, when Dropbox was first updated for Windows 8, it would restart Explorer under high integrity as a child process of the elevated installer. This was a very serious problem since it transparently lowered the security of the system until a logout/login by rendering UAC less effective, and creating a scenario wh ere any child process could access and create files that were protected under the mandatory integrity level. It was fixed eventually but the damage was done depending on how long it was before the user restarted.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register