New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «[SOLVED]Multiple pinned icons with different runlevels » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 14255

Eric Walker

Posted: 08/21/2014 23:26:37

Hi,  I'm trying to setup something on the replacement primary taskbar (or secondary for that matter) that I can do with the regular windows 7 taskbar and am encountering some difficulty.

I'm a software developer and am forced to have admin privileges on my machine by policy, so I sometimes need to run my development tools (VB6/VS2010 etc) with different privilege levels.  I found a good way to do so using runas and on the normal Win7 taskbar have multiple pinned icons for each runlevel of my dev tools.

My difficulty lies in trying to create the same setup on the extended taskbar or replacement primary taskbar.  Since there's no shell extension to pin items to the Actual Multiple Monitors taskbars from windows explorer, I have to pin items once they're actually running, but if I run two of the same app with different privilege levels, I only get the option to un-pin the window with the different privilege level.  

I've found a work-around in pinning the different privilege levels to each separate taskbar, but I'd prefer to have the different icons side-by-side (and I'm perfectly fine with the grouping issues this setup causes, since there is no difference in the executables themselves, they all get grouped under a single pinned icon, but with aero-peek enabled I can see the window titles in preview and tell which privilege level I'm switching to)

Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 08/25/2014 15:04:50

Dear Eric,

thank you for your post!

At first, could you please tell us how to do that with the native Windows taskbar?

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Eric Walker

Posted: 09/06/2014 01:28:58

Sure thing Alexander, sorry about the delay in responding.

When you create a shortcut in windows explorer (or anywhere for that matter) you can change the properties and include the RUNAS command as part of the Target:

Like so:
C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /trustlevel:0x20000 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"

This will start up VS2010 as the default user.  My normal pinned target looks like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"

Because I can't find a way to pin the "default user" shortcut to the AWM taskbars, I can only run my apps with Admin priveleges unless I launch them from a command-line manually. (Or of course, litter my desktop with "default user" copies of each of my development apps)

I've tried doing this manually in %APPDATA%\%PROFILE%\Actual Tools\Actual Window Manager\PinnedLinks (by copying my "default user" shortcut) but all that ever happens is I get a blank document icon on the taskbar that doesn't do anything when I click on it.

As I'm sure you can imagine, it'd be easier if policy were changed so I would always do my dev/testing work as a non-privelged user account, but I don't have that much pull just yet.

Please let me know if you need any more details.  I'll be paying closer attention this time, I promise!!

Thanks again,
Eric

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 09/08/2014 16:49:17

Thank you for the comprehensive information, Eric!

Just for me to be totally sure that I understand your request correctly:
  • Do these the two target field values represent the shortcuts you would like to be able to pin to taskbar separately?
    1) C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /trustlevel:0x20000 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"
    2) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"
  • Will it work for any application as well as for VS2010?

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Eric Walker

Posted: 09/08/2014 20:22:40

Yes, the first one being a non-admin "default user" run-level of VS and the second being my normal privelege level (admin)

Yes, you can use the RUNAS tool on any application to run it as a different user or with a different set of priveleges.

Thanks,
Eric

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 09/08/2014 23:43:15

Dear Eric,

thank you for your reply!

Have you tried to drag and drop these items to the taskbar?

Best regards.

upd: by "items" I mean the shortcuts.

support@actualtools.com

Eric Walker

Posted: 09/08/2014 23:46:48

I have Alexander, and unless there's a setting I'm not familiar with that won't work.

When I try and drag and drop, the cursor turns to the international no symbol and nothing happens when I release the mouse button.

Is there a setting somewhere other than Multiple Monitors/Taskbar that will enable this?

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 09/08/2014 23:54:32

Could you please try to do that with a couple of other applications(e.g. your browser or File Explorer)?

If you see the same behavior, backup your configuration (Actual Window Manager -> Tools -> Configuration -> Backup), exit Actual Window Manager, then go to %appdata%\actual tools and delete the Actual Window Manager folder there. This will reset your configuration to defaults. Please report the result you get.

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

Eric Walker

Posted: 09/09/2014 00:16:25

Same results Alexander.  Regardless of what I try to drag and drop (*.lnk, *.exe, *.cmd) it won't allow me to do so.

After resetting to defaults, there is no change either.

I'm running the current beta if that matters.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 09/09/2014 16:13:19

Am I correct in understanding, that you have created two shortcuts (one of them is for runas.exe, and the second is for the application as it is), placed them on your desktop and then drag and drop each other over the taskbar, while there are no instances of the application running? I'm asking you this because this is what made them pin separately on my PC under Windows 7 as well as under Windows 8.1.

support@actualtools.com

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register