Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Multiple Monitor Not Enforced at Login » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 3003

Dan Hooyer

Posted: 08/05/2014 20:59:43

Good morning,

I apologize if this topic has been discussed before, but I couldn't find mention of it after a quick search.

I've been having a bit of an issue with our deployment of AWM. The Window Manager works great for the most part; however, on an increasingly recurring basis, it doesn't work as expected at startup. Our Window Manager has been configured to run our primary program when our users log in, and to stretch that window to 100% of desktop (over 3 monitors). What happens, on occasion, is that the window remains on a single monitor (the primary one). The top bar looks like it continues on to the next monitor, but the next monitor is blank. The Minimize/Maximize/Close buttons are not visible (I'm assuming because AWM thinks they are on the far monitor, but it is blank).

Upon investigation, the configuration seems to be correct. Re-adjusting the size to 100% of desktop within AWM fixes the problem immediately.

Unfortunately, most of our users are not well versed (and don't care to be well versed) in the inner workings of AWM. Is there a way around this? Or should we start rolling out a quick training session?   :D

For reference, we are running Windows 7.

Thanks,

Dan

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 08/07/2014 13:58:49

Thank you for your post, Dan!

Please tell more about your setup:

• Do you run your program (which is meant to be maximized) on Windows startup?
  • Does your second monitor normally flickers right after startup?
  • When the program has run and has been maximized improperly, does anything appear on your second monitor (e.g. a taskbar)?
  • Does the problem occur if you run your program manually after Windows startup?

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

Dan Hooyer

Posted: 08/21/2014 23:36:36

Good morning/almost noon Alexander!

Sorry about the delayed response.

To answer your questions:

- We do not set the program to run at startup by default, no. However, since these workstations exist solely to run this application, they tend to be manually started immediately at login - so really it's the next closest thing.  ;) AWM itself, however, is set to run at startup.

- I haven't noticed either of the secondary monitors flickering, but that is not to say we don't experience inconsistent issues with them. Often times they will individually go to sleep despite settings that should prevent it otherwise (I belive this is a problem with Windows 7, although I can't be sure). However, AWM holds its ground like a champ when these issues happen. When we experience the AWM issue I listed above, it is typically independant from any noticed monitor misbehaviour.

- When the issue occurs, the only thing showing on the secondary monitors is the desktop background and Windows taskbar. The application Window itself appears to be stretching to the next monitor (i.e. the top bar looks just like it does when it is properly maximized), but there is no sign of the window itself on the other two monitors.

- I may have tackled the last question in the first answer, but yes it does. Even if you restart the program, the problem persists. However, if you grab ahold of the window via the drag method and then use the AWM interface to re-resize it to 100% of desktop, it works perfectly from then on (at least for that particular user, until they log out of or restart the machine). This includes if the user restarts the application or even if you restart AWM itself.

Thanks for your help!

Dan

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 08/22/2014 19:23:50

Hello, Dan!

Thank you for the comprehensive information!

Please send us your configuration files (Actual Window Manager -> Tools -> Configuration -> Send to Tech Support) with a reference to this thread.

May I also get a copy of your program to run tests with Actual Window Manager on my testing PC?

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 08/22/2014 20:02:46

One more question: if Actual Window Manager hadn't been loaded at all, would your application window open maximized at its startup or not? I've found that the situation a lot similar to yours occurs all the time when you try to resize maximized window to 100% of desktop through Specific Settings.

And could you please try to set width to 99% of desktop and check if the behavior changes?

support@actualtools.com

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register