Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Mouse movement causes framerates to drop sporadically in certain games , Massive bug in AWM v 8.1.4 » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 7037

Kevin Cleijne

Posted: 07/29/2014 02:49:25

Hello!

I've been running Actual Window Manager version 8.1.4 and I've noticed a MASSIVE problem with it.

It seems that this product slows down many applications to a crawl when you move the mouse around in a game application. Specifically - this happens in Dark Souls 2 as well as in League of Legends. The frame-rate (FPS) dies to below 10; only to boost up to max when the mouse stops moving.

Pausing the utility (AWM) does not serve to fix this either, I have to unload the program (or just exit it) to resolve the issue.
I've been messing around with many settings, made exclusions of the programs (avoid AWM to handle them); but these do not fix the frame drops either. It just slows down to a crawl whenever the mouse is involved.

Is this issue known to the devs? Any workaround/fix? I really like the program but this is too much of an issue for me to continue running it.

EDIT:
might be worthwhile to mention I've tested this with v 8.1.2 as well as 7.3; whilst doing so I removed the %appdata% folders as to reset the settings to default. I've also tried to disable every utility going on with the program- this was all to no avail. The frame rate in these applications still die when the mouse is moving at a slow to moderate speed.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 07/29/2014 08:33:10

Thank you for your post, Kevin!

At first, could you please try to reproduce the issue with Actual Window Manager 8.2 beta 4?

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Kevin Cleijne

Posted: 07/29/2014 15:14:14

Sad to say the same issue is there in Actual Window Manager 8.2 beta 4, I've tried it again with a fresh installation (removed %appdata% and the old version prior to installation). Issue is still present, even with all the features of AWM disabled and the only trace of the program visible in the Task Manager, not even the system tray (seems like if you disable features in 8.2 beta 4 you end up losing the tray icon, perhaps I ticked a check-box that handles it).

When I killed the AWM process in the task manager my framerate returned to normal, hinting that this still is an issue with AWM or something running in conjunction with it. Is there a list with incompatible programs, has this issue been reported before?

Kind regards,

Kevin Cleijne.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 07/29/2014 15:27:07

Thank you for your reply, Kevin! We've had some issues with League of Legends, but have fixed them.

Could you please provide me with the steps to reproduce the problem?

support@actualtools.com

Kevin Cleijne

Posted: 07/29/2014 17:29:11

Just to be completely sure I'm doing the 'clean install' correctly - the steps I take for uninstallation are:

Run the uninstall tool

reboot the computer once it is finished

navigate to the %appdata% folder and delete the Actual Tools folder
navigate to C:\Program Files (x86); delete the Actual Window Manager folder

as for the steps to reproduce the framerate drops:

I use the RivaTuner overlay that shows you a framerate counter - the issue is visible using the in-game framerate counter of League of Legends as well.

Starting from a fresh installation of Actual Window Manager 8.2 beta 4 (uninstalled as described above)

1) Install AWM 8.2 Beta 4 - location at C:\Program Files (x86)\Actual Window Manager
  checked 'ON' the - additional items in Desktop context menu during installation.
(installer ran as administrator, just to be sure)

2) Reboot

3) Launch AWM (it automatically runs after reboot, startup checkbox checked in the options menu)

4) Launch the League of Legends Client

5) Log in with your account and launch a Custom game

6) Once the game has loaded and you are in-game, move the mouse cursor around in circles at slow/moderate/fast speed

7) Observe the framerate counter in the top right corner, or from a custom overlay - and notice a frantic drop to below 10 FPS while the mouse is in motion

8) Observe the framerate returning to normal once the mouse stopped moving.

Similarly this issue is visible while launching and in-game of Dark Souls 2

for DS2:

1) Launch Steam

2) Launch Dark Souls 2 from Steam

3) Move the mouse around in the menu screen

4) Observe framerate drop from Custom FPS overlay, or go in-game and notice the insane stutter while moving the camera around (mouse action)

Since these forums don't appear to have an expand box of some sort I've added a screenshot of the DxDiag system Diagnostic, in case that could help. (probably wont do much but hey^^)

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 07/30/2014 08:57:44

Thank you for the comprehensive directions, Kevin! I'm going to investigate the issue now. Keep up with the news in this thread!

support@actualtools.com

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 08/11/2014 17:19:58

The issue has been confirmed, we will try to do something about it. We will post the news on this issue in this thread.

Upd: by the way, none of the PCs has shown significant FPS drops. Just a few frames less, but still. Please try to update your graphics card drivers as this might help.

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

Kevin Cleijne

Posted: 08/11/2014 18:37:09

I'll see if there are any driver updates; perhaps the severity of it was increased due to the fact that I've ran Vsync on most games, which can cause sporadic frame rate drops when you lose 60 FPS stability, so when you dip to 49 it could increase the drop to 30 and attempt to return to 60 after the frames have been processed.

Good luck on the fix guys; looking forward to it ;)

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 08/12/2014 16:22:48

Thanks, Kevin!

support@actualtools.com

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search