Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Working with fullscreen and second monitor » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 4235

Tomek Kowal

Posted: 06/25/2014 02:33:16

Hello!
I stumbled upon your software, in hope that it may help me and whole bunch of gamers with the struggle.

There are many programs, especially games, that when go fullscreen do something strange with multi monitor arrangement, which results everything from secondary monitor being moved behind the fullscreen application. Alt-tabbing from fullscreen application minimizes it, so there is no point in manually arranging windows - after restoring the fullscreen application, it hides everything again. This is the behaviour I'd like to counter: To make specific applications or windows to forcibly stay at second screen.
I have not found such an option or anything that would help me with this, beside an option to START application on specific monitor which won't help me, when the application is already running.

I have limited knowledge about windows and 3D context switching, but I suspect that during change from Aero-only to full 3D context monitor enumeration can get rearranged, or at least monitors are reinitialised, and it may be driver specific (I've tested it only on nVidia and Intel video adapters, aI don't have access to AMD hardware).

I can think off about few ways to achieve this:
- I've seen someone requested in 2011 feature to lock app to current monitor. I can't find this option, so you've probably decided not to implement it. I suppose it would be tricky (constant size/position polling?), and could still get confused IF the application in the moment of going fullscreen really messed with monitor setup.
- Let user make a global hotkey to move <specific window> to <specific monitor>. That would work beautifully!
- Enable permanent profile for specific applications or windows, so when one monitor is available, it's here, and if second monitor gets enabled, application's window goes there. That would also counter the screen rearrangement issue.
Of course there may be more, perhaps easier ways to do it?
Can you help me with this?

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 06/25/2014 13:01:31

Dear Tomek, thank you for your message!

I'm not quite sure, that I understood your demand properly.

Have you tried Ignore deactivation? (It is toggled for an active window by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I by default and/or can be applied to specific windows using Specific Settings rules.) This feature prevents fullscreen apps from minimizing on deactivation.

There are also Move to next and Move to previous monitor hotkeys, and you can also assign a custom hotkey to move an active window to exactly specified monitor.

If I misunderstood your question, please tell me that.

Looking forward to your reply!
Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Tomek Kowal

Posted: 06/25/2014 14:21:38

Well, I'm sorry about confusing message.
What I'm trying to move to second screen, isn't the fullscreen application, which by default is an active one, but other, that are forcibly hidden behind it. I'll try an example:
I want to play Assassin's Creed 4, and I have open internet browser with a detailed map. I have my left monitor as a primary one. I put the browser on right monitor, I run the game, the screens flicker for a split second, AC4 goes fullscreen and in this exact moment browser vanished behind it on monitor 1, leaving only wallpaper on monitor 2.
If I alt-tab to browser again, game minimizes, I can move browser to second monitor, but while bringing back the game, same thing happens and I end up with empty second screen.
This is why I want to control window that is not active at this moment - lock it there, force to move with a hotkey, or do whatever necessary to confine it to monitor 2.

What I wrote about, are my concerns about the flickering moment while bringing up fullscreen game - it looks like it deactivates second monitor for a moment, while switching video adapter to fully accelerated 3D mode, and handling the disappearing monitors may be tricky.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 06/27/2014 15:35:42

Dear Tomek,

thank you for your reply!

Could you please send us your configuration files (Actual Multiple Monitors -> Tools -> Configuration -> Send to Tech Support) with a reference to this thread so we could investigate the issue?

support@actualtools.com

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 07/01/2014 16:56:33

Dear Tomek,

thank you for sending us the additional information and your configuration files!

Am I correct in understanding that this behavior is shown by your system irrespective of whether Actual Multiple Monitors is running or not?

Anyway, I suggest you to try the following:
  • Configure your windows to be moved to a monitor having mouse pointer upon startup (Actual Multiple Monitors -> Window Settings -> Default Settings -> Startup -> Move to monitor).
  • Configure particular windows which you have Specific Settings enabled for - to be moved to a monitor having mouse pointer upon startup. I mean "Android" Specific Settings rule which, as I can see from your video, is a browser you use.
  • Make it possible to run applications from the monitor to your right. You can either place icons on that desktop or enable Actual Multiple Monitors taskbar on that monitor.
  • Start the game.
  • Activate ignore deactivation feature (it's Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I by default).
  • Move your mouse pointer to the right monitor and run some applications.
  • Report the results here.

Thank you in advance!

support@actualtools.com

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register