Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[FIXED]Avast Popup not closing , Actual window manager: Avast Popup not closing » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 5856

Sagehorn

Posted: 05/14/2014 22:17:32

Hi there

I'm using the actual window manager all the time, but I've got a problem with the avast notifications that won't leave after popping up.. Haven't found any way to fix it via avast Options and without the actual window manager it works regularly. Any idea what to do?

Greets

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 05/15/2014 14:03:38

Dear Sagehorn,

thank you for your post.

I can tell you that I have seen such behavior once, but right now I can't reproduce this problem. Could you please send us your Actual Window Manager configuration (Actual Window Manager -> Tools -> Configuration -> Send to Tech Support) with a reference to this thread.

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 05/15/2014 19:50:45

Dear Sagehorn,

this problem has already been fixed and the fix is available in 8.2 version of Actual Window Manager (currently it is beta).

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Sagehorn

Posted: 05/16/2014 01:27:51

Thanks for your help. Trying it right now. Will report the results.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 05/16/2014 19:14:35

Thank you for participating in beta testing!

support@actualtools.com

Rogerio Souza

Posted: 05/17/2014 13:44:34

Idem for me!

I'm using WinLister. 1.13 (www.nirsoft.net) and closing the popup avast.

I think it's not the AWM.
I consulted the AVAST forum and others also experience this.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Fight, fight & fight

aph
Advanced user

Posted: 05/19/2014 15:41:56

It's either permissions or a class awm has internal ignore set for (sometimes seen in the log as "System flag" but usually omitted.) You can override the ignore list by window, but to get the class name the first time you will have to use another utility.

To get the class name I use Active Window Info, a tiny utility that shows info about what's under your cursor at the time. It was bundled with AutoHotKey but the manifest says it's from AutoIt. The filename is AU3_Spy.exe and it shows the class on the 2nd line of output window. I used it to find some previously hidden windows without any issues. Sometimes it takes a few refreshes for the window to show up in the log but it always does and then you can make changes.

Getting the class name may not help because most of the time it's due to permissions anyway. Many of those are internal blocks set up for safety, so if you're seeing something like Avast it's probably pretending to be a system process or has a higher mandatory integrity level assigned to that process than the AWM process can access (writable).

Few processes are protected so they would need to be above whatever integrity level awm is running at. I run mine at system but would only recommend if you're really in need of that or running into some complications so I wouldn't recommend if it not familiar with the security implementation in Windows as you'll have to write a bunch of rules that are broad but precise.

Otherwise you may end up with the main issue I'm having at the moment, which is a thread interlocking condition being raised and ultimately freezing the computer. I haven't posted about it since I'm sure it's not a normal use case, but as more windows become accessible you're very unlikely to run into some issues. AWM does its job and hooks everything in sight, but depending on type and memory location that can cause a slowdown as there's some confusion about what it's doing. Some internal messages to defensive mechanisms are also sent which get resolved with the security of the system as the primary consideration. E.g. if you compromise csrss.exe protected but user mode process, that will bsod you with a 0x21 error. That's an intentional fault to prevent a compromised state.

AWM froze up for me just yesterday after the registry entry created by the CLS 2 parameter to AWM to specify All Users as the source config had gone missing, loading the default config without any of the exclusions in mine. The entire machine just stopped right as had started to allow some mouse movement, in the process of trying to enumerate and hook all those processes. The event log showed the Windows-Security task had come in with a temporary login and overloaded the privileges including primary Tcb token to shut it all down. Presumably before dwm.exe could release its hook on display memory so I could see an error.

If you think of all the AV's that people say freeze up their computers and slow it down, that's actually very common and often it's the security mechanisms trying ot manage interprocess access, which Windows is by design created to allow (up until Modern interface)

I need to create a new user and define the policy more explicitly anyway, so if you decide to go that route I may be able to give you some rules to use as well as a security descriptor for the privileges that are minimally needed.

Sagehorn

Posted: 05/22/2014 19:19:47

I won't read that whole reply. Just want to say, that this beta fixes the problem ;)
Thx again, nice program!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register