New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 11 - 15 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «AMM 8.1.3 - mouse movement causing CPU-load spikes » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 19356

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 04/15/2014 22:43:41

Crypt Ed,

If this problem is that serious as you believe it is then why you are still the single person who complained about it? We have thousands of customers worldwide and most of them are using Windows 7 - and nobody reported this issue yet.

Why do you concern so hard about those so-called "spikes"? Consuming 8-10% of CPU cycles by the foreground app is quite normal (after all, your PC has the CPU to run programs, not to stay idle all the time).

Anyway, we will surely investigate this issue in the near future and try to pin the culprit. Thank you for all the information provided.

Crypt Ed

Posted: 04/21/2014 18:58:31

They happen with AMM loaded (not run).
They not happen with UltraMon.

I dont care if other people din't start a complain. I recognize it and it bugs me...
I tell you that NOT ANY application using ANY mouse-moving 10% CPU-usage.

Not even one single percent!

We are not talking about a foreground process using cpu-cycles for general purpose of calculating stuff... we are ONLY talking about mouse movement. Think about it once again: 10% of 4 billion cycles is a lot of cycles for moving a cursor inside a window.... even 1 % is still a lot of cycles.

I concern it because : I PAID FOR IT, and im dissappointed... this is not what anyone would expect! YOu should not waste 10% of my CPU for NOTHING !?

After ignoring me over monthes and the subject, too , you finally want to tell me: Others do not care, so I should not care... and whatever why don't I buy myself a better CPU... mouse-movement causing cpu-usage ramp up surely is "normal" whatsoever... IT IS NOT!!!!

(after all your brain has cells to programm code, not to stay idle all the time) <-- see the arrogance of yours comment above?
Whatever is meant to be used or spend is not meant to be wasted... your time, my time.... cpu-cycles too, they cost energy non the less... so your argue is bad and arrogant..

The thing is.... with this behaviour the programm IS USELESS to me... it does matter on this PC, you might not imagine. i want my money back or a simply "not-a-cpu-eater". I will go silent when i got one of them! Thanks!

Wonder why this topic has +340 views till now... i guess not because nobody cares.... and yes, maybe nobodody else complaint because it is not so easy to recognize / detect / reproduce at all. But maybe they uninstalled this cpu-eater and consider not buying it... whatever. I just request a propper product that I have already paid for.

All i wanted is a multi-monitor software... to apply indiviual backgrounds per screen and make it save screen positions with a quick enable/disable-function... NOT a cpu-eater.

I go buy UltraMon now, it works marvellous without any complaint of this significance!

Crypt Ed

Posted: 04/21/2014 19:41:08

As I said, I am IT-Systemelectrician and didn't recognize this straigth ahead and I made the mistake to pay for this misery behaving product and this misery reacting support. If i would have found it out before i had not wasted my money for this "no-go".... so you excpect the "average joe" to recognize it and complain about it? C'mon... if your not willing to fix or taking it serious maybe you delete/censor this thread... so nobody with a brain starts thinking about it before buying your product.

And by the way on a quad-core... AMM CPU-spikes go up to 25% overall (not just 10%) so one single core beeing completely at 100% for short periods while moving mouse, when you use Cool n Quiete or Speedstep. In the end having AMM loaded is increasing my wattage from ~90Watt to about ~110W while using same minor tasks on the PC.....only because AMM causing the load to rise and the CPU clockin up.

The weaker your CPU is the more annoying AMM going to be.... really? Is that your clue? Just live with it!?

Your motivation should be in the end "to make a better product"... it's the only way to attract permanently more sales: quality. A software product that abstracts some "multi-monitor-functions" and consuming any significant additional CPU-cycles for ONLY moving the mouse is not not what i call "good".

But so do you! Im baffled.

Crypt Ed

Posted: 04/21/2014 20:29:39

Why do you concern so hard about those so-called "spikes"?

You really still don't got it?

Because while talking about about cpu-usage of processes, we not mean normal usage, but only mouse-movement, the so called cpu-skipes only appear with your famous product AMM.

When you un-load AMM you can move your mouse at superspeed and 8000dpi to wherever you want... AERO has no-mouse cpu-usage/lagg/spikes.

I am not talking about the mouse hovering over objects in the GUI or the desktop..... but the mouse moving around object-free/empty application-window/desktop-space.... and your product causing the Application.exe and the AMMCenter-process to occur SIGNIFICANT ADDITIONAL cpu-cycles, because it polls the pointer all the time for freaky kind of reasons.

This is hardly annoying because the normal usage without AMM loaded is 3 times lower.

Got it? You are wasting my CPU for no obvious reason soon as i touch my mouse!

Anyways i moved to a better working product now. I'll check out your changelogs in future, but thats it for now. Im out!

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 04/21/2014 21:31:37

No, I cannot personally reproduce the problem.

For the record, your task manager screenshot shows that your notepad.exe is pushing 10% CPU usage. Notepad is basically a puff of air. If even *Notepad* is pushing 10% CPU usage on your machine, then in my opinion, AMM is working just fine.

But regardless, the fact that you had SetPoint installed may be a problem -- even if you've uninstalled it, there may be remnants still hooking the mouse. The past few versions of SetPoint have a problem with high/spiking CPU cycles, and there are plenty of posts on even Logitech's forums complaining of it. Logitech still hasn't fixed the problem.

If you're in IT, then surely you should know about Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx)and Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx)-- two critical tools to diagnosing issues. You'll be able to see specifically what's happening "behind the scenes" when the spikes occur.

Another tool to try is Microsoft's DebugDiag 2.0 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40336). You can use it to diagnose thread issues, to try and narrow what threads (and where) are the problem.

As for Process Explorer, open it and double click on AMM's .exe that's doing the spikes. Click on the "Threads" tab. Sort the columns by CPU usage. Move the mouse around to get it to spike usage, then double-click on the thread with the highest CPU. This will show you the stack, the most recent functions called/processing. The AMM-specific ones won't be named since we don't have the AMM debugging symbols, but you'll be able to see the OS-related ones (if you have Windows debugging symbols set up, which I assume you do if you're in IT).

If you're still open to troubleshooting, post a screenshot of the stack printout.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Messages 11 - 15 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login