Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Missing feature -- display desktop picture source » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 3699

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 03/11/2014 07:36:07

The changelog for 8.1.2 mentions the ability to:

"...display the picture source in desktop background slideshow ... You can open any current slideshow picture file in your default picture viewer by using the "Open slide" command in the Desktop context menu."

However, this appears to be missing. When I right-click my desktop background, the only feature I see is "Next slide" (which is also useful).

Am I perhaps looking in the wrong place for this feature?

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 03/11/2014 07:53:26

Ah, I figured it out -- there's a new setting in AWM that needs to be enabled under the "Background" subsection ("Show picture source").

The "Open slide" feature now works, however, unfortunately it appears to be required to show the background's file source visually on the desktop.

Could we please get access to the "Open slide" feature without needing to show the picture's source visually on the desktop? Or at the very least, if we could have the option of making the text transparent? :)

Sometimes I see a desktop slideshow picture that I want to tweak or edit, and I typically have to go hunting for the folder and picture to make the edits. I'd love this ability to right-click the desktop and open the picture in my editor.

Thanks!

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 03/19/2014 15:26:34

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the post.

We'll try to add this possibility.

Best regards.

John Land

Posted: 03/07/2015 08:27:01

Any progress on the feature "Open Slide" WITHOUT having to enable "Show picture source"?

ALSO, I request an option to "Show picture source (filename only)"

I've got a VERY long path name (over 100 characters) to each background image in my collection; I know where the images are, so I don't really need the path name displayed.

John Land

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 03/12/2015 10:49:25

Hello John,

Unfortunately, the feature hasn't been implemented in our products yet.
We'll inform you if/when it will be done.

Best regards.

John Land

Posted: 03/15/2015 14:53:34

Thanks.

My current workaround is to create a junction (C:\Themes) to my actual long path and then point AWM to the short junction name (junctions work, but not symbolic links).

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 03/16/2015 11:19:06

John,

Please clarify mentioned "junction work, but not symbolic links".

Best regards.

John Land

Posted: 03/27/2015 03:03:43

I use a utility called LinkShellExtension that allows me to create junctions and symbolic links, among other things. See http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

Re-reading the Help for the utility, I shouldn't have expected symbolic links (for files) to work with a folder:

"Junctions are wormholes in the tree structure of a directed graph. By browsing a Junction a maybe far distant location in the file system is made available. Modifying, Creating, Renaming and Deleting files within a junction tree structure operates at the junction target, i.e. if you delete a file in a Junction it is deleted at the original location.

Symbolic Links are to files what Junctions are to folders in that they are both transparent and Symbolic. Transparency means that an application can access them just as they would any other file, Symbolism means that the data objects can reside on any available volume, i.e. they are not limited to a single volume like Hardlinks. Symbolic Links differ from Shortcuts in that they offer a transparent pathway to the desired data object, with a shortcut (.lnk), something has to read and interpret the content of the shortcut file and then open the file that it references (i.e. it is a two step process). When an application uses a symlink it gains immediate access to the data object referenced by the symlink (i.e. it is a one step process)."

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/01/2015 15:09:58

John,

Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce the problem.

Could you specify your OS (version, 32 or 64-bit), version of LinkShellExtension and our product (name, version)?
Could you also provide a step by step description of how to reproduce the problem?

Best regards.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/06/2015 23:41:35

Hello gentlemen,

Ah, I figured it out -- there's a new setting in AWM that needs to be enabled under the "Background" subsection ("Show picture source").

The "Open slide" feature now works, however, unfortunately it appears to be required to show the background's file source visually on the desktop.

Could we please get access to the "Open slide" feature without needing to show the picture's source visually on the desktop?

Any progress on the feature "Open Slide" WITHOUT having to enable "Show picture source"?

ALSO, I request an option to "Show picture source (filename only)"

I've got a VERY long path name (over 100 characters) to each background image in my collection; I know where the images are, so I don't really need the path name displayed.
- This has been implemented in current 8.3 beta 3 versions of our products (download section - http://www.actualtools.com/beta/ ).

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register