Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM 8 disables X-Mouse on launch , Can only be restored via TweakUI » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 2812

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 02/26/2014 20:34:58

This has been driving me insane for the last few weeks, but I think I've finally pinned it down. I'm a long time user of X-Mouse (within TweakUI), where window focus follows the mouse. I don't have Autoraise enabled, but it does allow me to send keystrokes, etc. to a window without disturbing the Z-order.

For the last few weeks, this X-Mouse functionality has been disappearing every time I reboot. I then traced it to logoff/logon, and have been running ProcMon to look for which app was changing the registry entry (HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\UserPreferencesMask). I couldn't find anything, and weirdly when loading TweakUI, it was writing that reg entry and re-enabling X-Mouse, but the value it was writing was the same value that was already there. Doing the same thing by hand didn't fix the problem.

Anyway, by stepping through the login sequence, I can now reproduce the problem when AWM launches - i.e. up till that point X-Mouse is working, and as soon as AWM starts, X-Mouse stops (needing a click to give focus).

I'm not entirely sure how AWM is turning this off - certainly not via the registry. But TweakUI can tell that it's been disabled so I guess there's something more than just this registry entry involved.

Please please can you have a look at this? I'm seriously considering going back to V7 for now - it's a real productivity killer for me...

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 02/26/2014 20:39:05

PS - sorry, meant to check before posting, but just stopping / starting AWM from the system tray menu is enough to turn X-Mouse off. To be specific, stopping doesn't break it, but starting again is when it stops working.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 03/06/2014 19:09:10

Hello David,

Thanks for the post.

Could you send me your configuration files (Actual Window Manager -> Tools -> Configuration -> Send to Tech Support) and specify your OS (version, 32 or 64-bit) and versions of X-Mouse and Actual Window Manager?

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 03/10/2014 18:30:54

Here's the details. Config files sent by email.

• XP SP3 32-bit
  • AWM 8.1.2
  • X-Mouse (Tweak UI) 2.10.0.0

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 03/12/2014 18:07:44

Hello David,

The problem has been confirmed.
We'll investigate it.

Did you know that there is the same feature in Actual Window Manager (Actual Window Manager -> Mouse -> Options -> Active window on mouse hover)?

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 03/12/2014 18:57:58

Doh! No, I didn't realise that. I've used X-Mouse for ages (since before I started with AWM), so probably I had no need to look for it. Strange that it's only just started conflicting - or is it a recent addition?

In any case, it makes sense - that AWM setting was disabled, so I guess AWM was just applying it. I've enabled it now and will report back if problems continue. Hopefully though, that's solved.

Thanks,

David.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 03/12/2014 19:12:17

David,

The option has been added since the 8.1 version.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register