Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Both 32 and 64 bit processes? » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 2823

Joshua Brown

Posted: 01/26/2014 07:14:28

Hi.  I'm evaluating a demo version of AMM, and thinking about purchasing.  I also hope to see the release on Steam this month.

Back to the subject. I run win7x64 and when I launch task manager, AMM lists both 64 and 32 bit processes.  I'm aware that this does not change functionality, but it does seem pointless. If you're offering a 64 bit program, go 64 bit all the way.

Is this perhaps just a problem with my installation or configuration? Or just a problem with the demo?

Processes listed while running AMM - demo.

ActualMultipleMonitorsCenter.exe *32
ActualMultipleMonitorsCenter64.exe (oddly in Program Files (x86)) <-Why do two centers run at once?
ActualMultipleMonitorsConfig.exe *32  <- I suppose this matters less since it only loads while adjusting settings, but still..
ActualMultipleMonitorsShellCenter64.exe (also in Program Files (x86))

Program Files (x86) is for programs that are 32 bit, my software seems to be running both out of the same location.

Thanks!  And get on Steam so Display Fusion has some real competition.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 01/29/2014 02:12:20

Hello Joshua,

Yes, we plan to release the new version on Steam soon (probably, this or next week).

There is no problem in your installation, everything is correct and works exactly as intended. You can view the description of each process to know its purpose.

In short, one 32-bit process (Center.exe) is to handle 32-bit legacy applications and their windows (there are still quite many of them so we simply can't just drop them), one 64-bit process (Center64.exe) is to handle 64-bit applications and their windows, and another 64-bit process (ShellCenter64.exe) is to run multi-monitor taskbars (we have to run it as a separate process to ensure better stability and reliability).

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register