Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «3 monitor lightroom issue , problem assigning secondary display in lightroom » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 8594

Gary Chappel

Posted: 01/30/2013 20:28:30

New here- thanks,  great software so far.
I am just setting up a 3 monitor system, singlerow.
Win7
Far left monitor is a color corrected coloredge cg222w.
The other 2 monitors are dell 2410's.
I use the far left monitor as my main lightroom screen.
When I open the second screen on lightroom it goes to the far right screen, I would like it to open on the middle screen, adjacent to it.
Screens are labeled 3 1 2
When I switch the video cables between screen 1 and 2- somehow lightroom secondary screen remains on the far right screen.
Any ideas?  It is driving me crazy.  Is there a way in this program to renumber the screens, I think if I make the middle screen #2 I might have a chance, but I do not understand how it
stays the same even when I switch the cabeling.  
By the way screen2, far right is my primary monitor if that makes any difference- but I have tried all 3 being primary without a change.
If it helps the coloredge and one of the 2410's attached dvi, and one 2410 via displayport.  Monitor 1, the middleone, is the displayport, but again when I switch the display port and dvi cables lightroom stays the same- on the far right monitor no matter how it is connected.
This is probably something easy, but it is above my pay grade
Thanks for any help
Gary

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/01/2013 03:51:15

Hello Gary.

Is the appearance of the lightroom second screen on the most right monitor associated with our program?

When I switch the video cables between screen 1 and 2- somehow lightroom secondary screen remains on the far right screen.
Do you mean that you don't change the order of the physical monitors, just switch the video cables, and the second window stays on the same monitor?

Does the system monitor layout changes when you switch the cables? Or does it stay the same 3 1 2?

What type of cables are you using to connect the monitors?

Best regards.

Gary Chappel

Posted: 02/01/2013 17:36:39

sorry for late reply- work sometimes gets in the way.
Lightroom was placing the secondary screen on the far right monitor before the actual tools program- it was actually one of the reasons I tried actualtools.
I did physically switch the monitors, but as soon as I reassigned the monitors so the mouse would work properly across all 3- screen jumped back to the far right.
By rebooting with only the far left screen connected, then connecting the other 2 monitors they are now numbered 2 3 1.  No change in lightroom.
1 is far right, and is the primary monitor.  It is connected by display port.  Other 2 are dvi.
If I turn off the far right screen, connected by display port- lightroom acts as I want, but actualtools gives me an error message when I turn off the screen.
Any help would really be appreciated.
Gary

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/03/2013 07:46:30

Hello Gary.

What exactly our program are you running (name, version)?

I did physically switch the monitors, but as soon as I reassigned the monitors so the mouse would work properly across all 3- screen jumped back to the far right.

Could you describe your actions step-by-step?

Have you tried to simply change the monitors layout in the Windows settings from 3 1 2 to 3 2 1 and then physically replace monitors according to this layout (so that DVI was in the middle and the display port - most right)?

What type of error message does the program give? Does it offer you to send an error report? Could you give me a screenshot?

Best regards.

Gary Chappel

Posted: 02/03/2013 12:44:04

Using actual tools window manager, current version downloaded fr om your site last week.
By rebooting the machine with only the far left monitor connected, then adding monitors, the order has changed- it is now 2,3,1.  No difference in lightroom4 activity.
By the way, lightroom does not allow me to drag the secondary screen anywhere else.  Using shiftf11 I can move it off fullscreen mode, then I can drag it- but when I put it back to full screen it jumps back over to the far right monitor.  It needs to be in full screen mode or some of the search functions are not visible.
monitor 2, far left attached by dvi
monitor 3 in the middle attached by dvi
monitor 1 far left attached by displayport
Everything works except lightroom 4, I need it to run on monitor 2, far left with secondary screen on monitor 3- in the center.  Secondary screen is now on monitor 1, far right.
I did actually switch the physical monitor positions in the past- but when I reordered the screens so the mouse would track properly across all screens the lightroom secondary screen popped over to the far right.  It is difficult to actually physically switch monitors now, as I have them mounted on a 3 monitor stand.
Monitor 1, far right, is my primary monitor if that makes any difference.

When I turn off monitor 1, lightroom main screen hops over to the center monitor-3. When I move it back to the left,2, the secondary screen will now be on 3, center- wh ere I need it.  I did not get an error message this time- have in the past.  When I turn the far  right-1- monitor  back on- the main lightroom  screen moves to that monitor.  When I drag it back to 2, secondary screen moves back to 1, far right.

When I switch the cables on the center and far right monitor- actual window manager now shows it as 2,1,3.  The lightroom secondary screen is still over on the far right monitor- now monitor now number 3.  ???
Is there a way with virtual desktop or something to fool lightroom into thinking the far right monitor is not there?  Then could I run an additional virtual desktop to allow me to access the far right monitor?
One other thing I just tried and noticed.  I tried assigning lightroom to far left monitor 2 using window settings in actualwindow manager.  Then when I turned off the far right monitor lightroom main screen did remain on the far left screen- good- but the secondary screen was not available anywhere, it seems to have been locked to the far right screen by this setting.

Just fishing here.
I would appreciate any help you could provide.  Obviously computers are not my strongpoint.
Thanks
Gary

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/03/2013 22:55:17

Hello Gary.

Are you able to create two specific settings - one for the main and one for the secondary lightroom windows? I mean, are they different in the Target window parameters such as class or caption? I think the program parameter is the same for these windows. If they have differences, you're able to create the separate settings for both these windows and tell one window to be on the far left monitor and other to be on the middle one.

Try this and let me know whether it helps.

Best regards.

Gary Chappel

Posted: 02/04/2013 22:01:47

I do not seem to be able to make a separate setting for the secondary window- in fact as soon as I click on any part of the configuration program for actualtools, the secondary screen closes.  Googling this, this seems to be a known problem with the lightroom program- but it is  stupid and driving me crazy.  
Gary

Gary Chappel

Posted: 02/05/2013 06:47:59

Is there a way to approach this with virtual desktops?
Can I create a virtual desktop with only 2 of the three monitors "visible"- I could have only the far left and center monitor visible.  I suspect if I then started lightroom
it would put the secondary screen on the only other monitor it can "see."
If that could be done that would be fine.
On top of that- is there a way to run a second virtual desktop at the same time, that would allow separate access to the third or far right screen?
Just trying to think here, I do not know if any of the above is doable, nor if it would actually work
Thanks
Gary

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/11/2013 22:29:49

Hello Gary

Unfortunately, there is no way to set this behavior.

Best regards.

Gary Chappel

Posted: 02/12/2013 05:32:26

Thanks for trying
Gary

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help